Iphone 5C Underwater Case?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ Interceptor121: Actually, wireless works very well below the water. We have been experimenting with different pieces of equipment. What doesn't work is trying to cross the air/water line. The other issue with iPhone's below the water is touch screens. Interface needs to take place at the bottom of the screen with buttons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

....... Actually, wireless works very well below the water. .....
What frequencies are you testing?
When you get into the GHz range you will be lucky if you get a signal across few centimeters of salt water :confused:

GoPro wifi works very well below the water line. iPhone Bluetooth OK, but not as good as wifi. Water is a very good conductor of signals, in many cases better than air. I am not a scientist, but my son has a BS in mechanical engineering from Stanford, and he has been helping us out.

....... Water is a very good conductor of signals,.....
For wireless - GHz range - signals? I don't think so.
If you get 10cm with WiFi you will be lucky.

Wireless radio in the normal range travels poorly under water is read of special systems being developed with different wavelengths. However it could be fun to experiments so will take both housing in the pool next time

@DiveNav: Getting way beyond 10 cm with a GoPro remote. Try a pool test! Our testing is a GoPro on a tripod in Puget Sound salt water.

.......Getting way beyond 10 cm with a GoPro remote. ....
So, what range do you get underwater (in salt water) with WiFi?

.......Try a pool test! ...
Forget pool testing. Fresh water doesn't count.

......Our testing is a GoPro on a tripod in Puget Sound salt water....
How deep are both devices?

Ah, now you have hit the problem. iPhone cases waterproof below 130 feet. GoPro remote wifi waterproof to 10 feet by itself. We have been placing GoPro remote in double seal sandwich bag, down to 20 feet. We will report range when it is videoed with a tape measure. Our tank tests up to 3 feet. We started out in a sink, then bath tub, then rinse tank. Now Puget Sound.

I am an underwater photographer (www.e-Clements.com), and I would not knock pool testing. We pool test all our new designs and systems prior to taking them into the field: be it fresh or salt water. It is also the best place for folks with new underwater gear to practice using it.

What we are trying to do is figure out how to remotely operate a GoPro from about 10 yards while it is mounted on a tripod. We want to photograph critters like garden eels or salmon that are really spooky around divers. But I think we will need an acrylic remote housing to accomplish this. Currently use a cable system for DSLR rigs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom