RIP Ron Akeson ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We lost one of our local diving legends yesterday ... Ron Akeson, owner of Adventures Down Under in Bellingham.

I didn't know Ron very well ... met him once and spoke to him via phone and email a few times. But he was a friend and mentor to quite a few of my dive buddies.

Ron was involved in a diving accident last week. I don't know the circumstances, nor do I particularly need to. I just want to remember his legacy as someone who contributed a lot to our local dive community, made a lot of friends, and who helped produce a lot of very good divers over the years.

Fair seas, Ron ... you'll be missed.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It has hit many of my buddies hard, very sad indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very sad.
I got certified by Ron in December. He really was a great guy! There ended up only being two of us in the class but the class went on! It was like private lessons.

Ron, was a super person..and my Dealer for many years. Our love to Barbara and their daughter and all their friends and Family.

I'm saddened to learn of Ron's passing. He was always a helpful, engaging person that always had a story to tell. My sympathies go out to his family and friends.

Ron and Barb gave me my first job in the industry in 1991 and introduced me to so many of the joys and beauty of diving. Ron was alway a friend and mentor and simply loved to share his vast knowledge and experience. I was fortunate enough to spend a few minutes on 4/5 chatting with him at the show in Seattle and it was great to catch up then.

He was the best. I never received better service from any dive shop over the years. He provided great training. He certified my son and a friend. His method of training even newbies with dry suits is an example to follow by other dive shops. Both boys where so comfortable right out of certification and well learned. All thanks to Ron and his professional training, service and attitude. He will be missed here in Bellingham.

Ron, was a special friend and a big fan of Force Fin..Our love to all. Bob and Susanne

Ron A, as he was know at CIMI (Catalina Island Marine Institute) was one of our first marine biology instructors and also established the UW photo program at Catalina Sea Camp. He worked at CIMI in the mid 1970's. A special person who loved to teach students and campers, Ron made many contributions to the fledging CIMI and helped lay the ground work for future generations of kids and young staff. He attended the CIMI Staff reunion last Labor Day at Toyon Bay where he did a lot of diving and UW Photography. Our sincerest condolences to his family. Through his life he touched thousands of lives and helped enrich all of us.

You will be missed…
Ross & Kristi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom