Now I understand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How certain are you that supervised use of nitrox is a standards violation? My impression (non-actionable level of confidence) was that it is allowed. After all dry-suit use in OWD is allowed and that adds considerably more risk than nitrox over a hard bottom considerably shallower than the MOD.

PADI AOW consists of a series of 'adventure' dives, each being the first dive of a specialty course. Cannot nitrox be selected as one of the specialties? Requiring dives for the nitrox specialty is of course an entirely separate discussion - when I took NAUI nitrox there were no dives, just a few hours in a classroom. Don't remember Advanced Nitrox (TDI) being a whole lot more complicated...

The OP indicated that they were diving the Nitrox before they had done the class......I'm pretty sure this is a violation.....admittedly, not 100% sure though...

The OP indicated that they were diving the Nitrox before they had done the class......I'm pretty sure this is a violation.....admittedly, not 100% sure though...

Probably blew the O2% check that is supposed to be done by the diver using the gas. If there isn't a violation in there somewhere I'd like to know why not?

Probably blew the O2% check that is supposed to be done by the diver using the gas. If there isn't a violation in there somewhere I'd like to know why not?

Well no, I'll have to say that he showed me how to use the boat's O2 analyzer. I checked both tanks.

Well no, I'll have to say that he showed me how to use the boat's O2 analyzer. I checked both tanks.

Well thank God for small miracles.

Wow. Dude, that was pretty harsh, wasn't it? I mean, I know what you're saying, and although I totally agree - in principle - I sure as h€ll didn't have the confidence to actually do something about a situation like that with only 8 dives under my belt (an are those post-cert, or are they incl. the OW course dives? Doesn't matter, really). Today, sure. Fresh out of OW with less than ten logged dives, no effing way. I'd have way too much respect for the INSTRUCTOR for that.

Yep it was harsh... and while maybe Jim could have put it more kindly I think everything he said was valid... The sooner a diver realizes that he or she is responsible for their own safety the better. That being said, your instructor was a train wreck and absolutely should be reported. This was a great post and I can't thank you enough for sharing your story.

If you are diving with family members it can be tough because you feel responsible for them, nothing will make you more confident and comfortable and calm in the water than just diving as often as you can. Find a dive buddy and just dive your @$$ off this summer!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom