Neutrally fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So quatros and rocket 2. I'll check that out.
@licus, Thanks for the info but I think maybe u want cheat because I was asking for not heavy/stiff fins. Just fiks that are negatively buoyant. :)

If you are happy with the Novas then why not try ankle weights?

because as I mentioned, I don't like ankle weights. It's uncomfortable, and adds weight. I prefer not adding weight.

because as I mentioned, I don't like ankle weights. It's uncomfortable, and adds weight. I prefer not adding weight.

If your Novas are positive and you're asking about negatively buoyant fins then you'll be adding weight. Have you tried moving your tank up a little?

I thought about that, and though technically you wouldn't add weight, you are probably right that both cases have the same net effect regarding overall buoyancy. Maybe I can put some heavy plates underneath my feet in the fins and see what that does, and just lose half a kg or so on my belt, just to see how that fares.
However, as a note, ankle weights, just like actually heavy fins like the scubapro jet fins, make kicks a heavier exercise due to the added weight (i.e more effort). Whereas lightweight negatively buoyant fins keep the effort much lower.
On my next trip I'll borrow some fins locally to see how they compare.

As for the tank, it's pretty good where it is. my trim in general is fine. perfectly horizontal, and when swimming there is no issue with the fins, only with hoovering and manoeuvring when stationary.

I had use some rubber fins but the AL ROCKET II's are not regular rubber. They are made from some other kind of rubber named something like FLEX.so never have any fatique on ankles if you compare with traditional rubber fins. I am insisting on Rocket II's.

The OMS Slipstreams are, as mentioned, very stiff. However, they are not neutral. My pair of XLs weigh about 2.3kgs/pair on the surface, including spring straps intended for Jet fins. I found them to be just a little bit too heavy for my liking when diving in a wet suit, but that might very well be the result of my relatively long and heavy legs.
Mares X-streams on the other hand are as close to neutral as you can get. They are fairly good for frog kicks, but you may experience or feel that the "ball pivot system" (in lack of better words) connecting the foot pocket with the blade is robbing you for a little bit of power when compared to traditional blade fins.

Mares X-streams on the other hand are as close to neutral as you can get. They are fairly good for frog kicks, but you may experience or feel that the "ball pivot system" (in lack of better words) connecting the foot pocket with the blade is robbing you for a little bit of power when compared to traditional blade fins.

I tried Mares X-streams once and found them to be positively buoyant in salt water (about the same as SP novas).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom