Advice on buying a BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the backplate and harness were uncomfortable, you can add shoulder pads and a backplate pad. Also, I picked my bp/w rig brand new for less than this used rig a few months ago.

Sent from my LG-P710 using Tapatalk

A BP&W isn't bad over the shore. The backplate makes for a very stable load with a tank strapped on, a backplate pad doesn't provide a ton of padding, but does insulate from the steel, the Halcyon BP in particular has a very fine finish, meaning no rough edges to scrape and cut, and the waist strap on the webbing is easy to adjust so that you can carry the load more on your hips, relieving your shoulders.

That said, I would want something between my skin and the gear pretty much no matter what gear I was diving with a walk of any length. I wore an underarmour shirt with my board shorts last time I was in the Carib and that protected me fine from my gear.

I agree with the last poster. If cost is not a factor, then absolutely go with Halcyon...they make a fine product. However, if cost is a consideration...then I doubt using a HOG, Dive Rite, or DSS rig will cost you your life. I've heard they make pretty good products too.:wink:

Sorry if my post came off sounding like that, I didn't mean it to. I've dove Dive Rite and DSS rigs. They make quality stuff as well. What I was trying to get at is the point of compromising what a diver wants because of cost. I myself would never buy a used BCD/BPW or regulator. I'm not saying that cost isn't an issue for me, per se, what I am saying is that I'm not willing to potentially compromise safety to save a few bucks by buying used.

Nothing is worse than spending money on something you realize wasn't the right equipment all along. I'd advise the OP to take their time and save up if they must in order to make sure they get the things they want. Sucks to buy something and then have to re-purchase what you initially wanted anyway.

Just my .02psi

Back
Top Bottom