Custom mouthpiece on you donor reg: problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish in a Barrel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a SeaCure custom molded mouthpiece on my primary regulator. It's easily the most comfortable mouthpiece I've used, but... I was trained to donate my primary reg to out-of-air divers, and my gear is set up for that (long primary hose, short second on a necklace). I'm wondering if that nice, custom mouthpiece represents a hazard to my buddy in that situation. The SeaCure is larger and less flexible than your typical silicone mouthpiece, so I can imagine it might be difficult for someone else to use.

What do you guys think? Is this a legitimate problem, or am I just conjuring demons in my head?

I have one on my primary, but donate my alternate. During DM course we had to buddy breathe a lot, and I recall my buddy found it quite "interesting". A "hazzard"--I don't know. I would think it's OK, as my buddy survived, and I guess you'd just engulf the entire mouthpiece if necessary to breathe. Of course, you can just do the skill with him and see how it goes. Don't know of another solution besides donating your alternate (unless it's on your LPI hose).

If they want your air, they won't give a f__k what kind of mouthpiece it has. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was the first thought when I read the OP. I'm not picky about about what I breathe from when I have no other options.

Bob
----------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

It sounds like I'm over thinking things, as usual. Thanks for the reality check, guys.

I asked this exact question in the Hogarthian forum a while ago, consensus was that it can easily produce a gagging reflex in the OOA diver and that they should be avoided for the donate reg.

I had a seacure and had donated it to a couple of people for drills. They all found it useable but not very comfortable. I figured if there is even a small chance it could cause a panicked diver to start gagging then it wasn't worth it.

I tried a bunch of different mouthpieces, then settled on one that was almost as comfortable despite being a "universal" type and changed the seacure out.

I was told way back when that a SeaCure could be a problem for the OOA. But since the intention is to donate my alternate and dive my primary, I'm going with the SeaCure. So far I dive it 100% of the time and no one has ever wanted it. Ergo it's a risk I'm willing to take. :wink:

The SeaCure mouthpieces are much longer than the "usual" mouthpiece. The theory is to shift as much of the stress of carrying the weight of the regulator to the molars as possible. Those long ends can gag people with sensitive reflexes. I dealt with it by simply cutting off about 7 or 8 mm of the end of the mouthpiece.

I have only donated the reg to my husband, but I asked him if he noticed anything different about it, and his answer was no.

The SeaCure has really helped with my TMJ pain from diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom