Custom mouthpiece on you donor reg: problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I asked this exact question in the Hogarthian forum a while ago, consensus was that it can easily produce a gagging reflex in the OOA diver and that they should be avoided for the donate reg.

That sounds like something they would say.

Unless you have some freaky anatomical defect, there's nothing the mouthpiece touches that can cause a gag reflex.

I would recommend cutting it back a little, since smaller mouth divers might not be able to get the whole thing in. But gagging? I won't believe it until someone can explain it using actual medical information and evidence. AFAIK, you need to go a whole lot father back than "molars" to make someone gag. Otherwise nobody would be able to chew.

Unless you have some freaky anatomical defect, there's nothing the mouthpiece touches that can cause a gag reflex.

I respectfully disagree. I had to cut mine waaay back because it made me gag. Have to do the same with sports mouthpieces.

I go along the same lines, you want my air you deal with my mouthpiece. You may find it is significantly less obtrusive than most.

I respectfully disagree. I had to cut mine waaay back because it made me gag. Have to do the same with sports mouthpieces.

I go along the same lines, you want my air you deal with my mouthpiece. You may find it is significantly less obtrusive than most.

How do you brush your teeth then?

Isn't gag reflexes caused by something going down the center of mouth, the Seacure mouth piece goes over your teeth, not down your throat.
Some days I'm very, very sensitive when brushing my teeth, well, not the teeth per se, but the tongue, I can place the toothbrush all the way back 'till it can go no further, anytime, as long as I do it over the teeth, but when I move it to the tongue, that's a different story.

I was also told during my fundies, that my Seacure could be a problem, and when my buddy saw it, he also told me right away how hes gag reflexes were extremely sensitive, I think even to the point of it being a problem for him at one time or another, maybe during childhood, can't remember, anyways, I never switched the mouth piece, and he never noticed it either.

Btw, the gag reflexes can be worked out apparently, I believe sword swallowers have some specific exercises to get rid/reduce it.

I asked this exact question in the Hogarthian forum a while ago, consensus was that it can easily produce a gagging reflex in the OOA diver and that they should be avoided for the donate reg.
That sounds like something they would say.
Did they scream, "you're going to die!", too? :D

No. They screamed "your OOA buddy is going go die!" And you'll die with him as he gags on your SeaCure remained implied.

By the way, I've a small mouth and so my SeaCure is quite trimmed too.

Last edited:
Did they scream, "you're going to die!", too? :D

No, they just gave examples from their personal experience of watching people gag from a donated seacure (and other types of moulded mouth pieces), then suggested they not be used.

Is the argument that they definitely can't cause gagging, or that if they do it won't be a problem? Cause neither of those seem to be the case.

As someone who frequently examined people's throats, I can tell you that some folks are unbelievably sensitive to any kind of foreign body in the back of the mouth, no matter where you put it. I've had patients gag themselves by opening their mouths too wide.

No, they just gave examples from their personal experience of watching people gag from a donated seacure (and other types of moulded mouth pieces), then suggested they not be used.

Is the argument that they definitely can't cause gagging, or that if they do it won't be a problem? Cause neither of those seem to be the case.
No, it's called a joke.

You can look them up online if you want to know about them. You need a sense of humor to "get" one, though, so you may be sort of out of luck.

I use a Seacure, and found that, while it doesn't gag me, it was more comfortable to cut it back. Seacure even tells you to do this for comfort. I can see why it may discomfort some people, but I doubt it would deter them from wanting to continue to live.

My wife has a Seacure mouthpiece. Our youngest daughter actually had to have some teeth removed since her mouth was so small, even before they could put the braces on. Having laid that background, one day while practicing skills a few years ago, we discovered our daughter couldn't use the Seacure and get breaths without a lot of water. She probably could have gotten to the surface in the drill but it would have been interesting with the added stress of panic. So yes it can be a real problem.
There is the method of donating the primary and then using your alternate. Good train of thought as it works with almost any configuration ( long hose, short hose, Air2 etc) Then the train of thought about donating your alternate and keeping your primary in your mouth. Also a good thought as the donor is never without air. Take from this be aware and think about your gear, preplan your reactions.

As someone who frequently examined people's throats, I can tell you that some folks are unbelievably sensitive to any kind of foreign body in the back of the mouth, no matter where you put it. I've had patients gag themselves by opening their mouths too wide.

How many of those are divers? If they are that sensitive, wouldn't their own mouthpieces be a problem from the get go?

Back
Top Bottom