Is there a reasonably priced land resort in Raja Ampat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tovster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I will be working in Jayapura, Indonesia this summer, and my girlfriend and I will be free to dive during the last two weeks in June. I am looking for a reasonably priced land dive resort (if I didn’t require Wi-Fi Internet, we would choose a liveaboard instead).

Our first choice is Raja Ampat because it is widely regarded as having the best diving in the world. When I checked the price of the resorts there, however, I discovered that they are extraordinarily expensive, charging well over $5,000 per-week for two people, all inclusive. I don’t want to spend that much money for a week of diving, especially because I plan on diving for well over a week. I really was trying to keep the total cost of the dive resort under $3,000 for two people.

Is there a moderately priced land resort in Raja Ampat that has all-inclusive diving? I don’t need luxury. I just want a good dive operation, our own room with a private bathroom (with real flushing toilet), and Internet access. Moreover, I noticed that many of the resorts in RA are sold out this June.

If in fact there are no moderately priced resorts in Raja Ampat, where would I find them in Indonesia? Would Bali be the best answer? I am well-aware that although Bali has world-class diving, Raja Ampat is superior (I spent a week on a liveaboard in Komodo a few years ago). I am fortunate that can travel to any location in Indonesia to dive.

I especially like to dive with larger animals, but this is not essential.

Where should I go? I would be most grateful for your insights and thoughtful suggestions.

Thanks

Is there a moderately priced land resort in Raja Ampat that has all-inclusive diving? I don’t need luxury. I just want a good dive operation, our own room with a private bathroom (with real flushing toilet), and Internet access. -> NO, not in Raja Ampat. Especially not with your idea of pricing.

If in fact there are no moderately priced resorts in Raja Ampat, where would I find them in Indonesia? -> I'm not sure if the season ist ok but Dive Bluemotion on Bandaneira could be an option for you.

June is not when you want to go to RA, at least from my research. We decided to go over the Christmas/NewYrs school break instead. I believe Misool for instance closes over July/Aug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm at Kri right now using their Internet, from your description this is the place to be. Gotta go watch the sunset now.

One should always disclose if they are receiving a pay check from a recommendation IMO.

Just sayin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hello Mikey

Yes I am receiving a pay check here at Kri right now, but I will honestly say their new young managers are 'kicking ass' with the resort and many new upgrades. And one is Canadian too...only fair to mention... :)

No worries, we looked at your sister resort but the whole closed on Saturday issue put us off. It simply pushed us arriving home into Tuesday/Wednesday (we have a son in grade 8) and the religious reasons were never stated anywhere, I found out elsewhere. Just be upfront and honest as to why.

I don't think you will find anything under $ 3000 per week for 2 people unless you consider one of the homestays. But to find a homestay AND internet might be difficult. When I was researching our land based accommodations I had a gentleman respond that has a resort on Waiwo and he indicated that they had connection enough to at least check email. And his prices were lower than anybody elses. Regardless of where you stay, I would not expect much as far as internet connectivity and reliability is concerned.....I also need internet access and I made due....Raja Ampat is such a magical place...You will make due with just about anything to get to experience it.....

Stayed at Biodiversity Eco Resort last month and liked the place. Can do a budget cottage for a week for just under $3000 for 2 people. But shared toilet and price only includes 2 dives/day with additional dives costing more. TBH its expensive for what you get but its cheap relatively speaking for a dive resort in Raja Ampat. They have a good dive operation which is not always the case in a homestay. Mobile internet via a Telekomsi card and a smartphone works ok most of the time. However the summer months are not the best time for Raja Ampat. Same applies for the Banda Islands. Bluemotion will be close from mid June till end August or so. Alor might be an option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom