SL4 (xenon) died. Consensus inexpensive LED replacement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lairdb

Contributor
Reaction score
Dug out the gear to prep for an upcoming trip, and one of my two SL4s is burned out.

I seem to revisit this topic every few years, and despite there being (roughly) 6,042,917 good quality inexpensive high powered LED lights for surface use, there seem to be very few for dive use.

Is there any consensus on a current decent cheap-but-solid, or a few to choose from?

Here's a few personal preferences:
- Mainstream-ish disposable batteries (C, CR123, 8xAA, etc.)
- 6-inch-ish (I'm concerned about 8+ inches being uncomfortably large for hanging under the shoulder strap)
- preferably available fairly quickly (Amazon Prime, Fry's, etc.)

I saw the LED Lenser D14; LED Lenser has a decent but not stellar reputation among the flashlight geeks and the shooting geeks, and it's the right length, battery, etc., but the external switch looks to be pretty easily accidentally activated, and the runtime is weak.

The UK SL4 eLED is probably a non-starter; I have real trouble seeing the value there.

Other thoughts? Thanks.

(Failing anything really clever, I'll probably get a replacement xenon lamp. Bleah.)

Last edited:
yes, buried in those 6,042,917 choices is a drop in module made by a guy here on SB..... Nice tight spot & modest lumens.

thinking jjblomquist is the SB name here......he is on the last post here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/271553-converting-sl4-xenon-led.html

might want to drop him a message. He was selling on e-xxx, but was treating SB folks better. Had a few different modules to meet lighting needs. I like mine and i also have numerous other "new" lights too.

yes, buried in those 6,042,917 choices is a drop in module made by a guy here on SB..... Nice tight spot & modest lumens.

thinking jjblomquist is the SB name here......he is [...]

Alas, I corresponded with him yesterday, and he's not active. I'm considering DIY using the dead lamp, but that's not my first choice.

I've used a couple of these for about 3-4 years now. Penetrater 220 $42. 6AAA's, IPX 8 certified (100M), double o-ring sealed. Twist-on, one set of batteries lasted me a week of night dives+

Capture.jpg

It's this light - mine from Piranha say Dorcy on the case:

Amazon.com: Dorcy 41-1467 Dive II Submersible Anti-Corrosion LED Diving Flashlight with Nylon Lanyard, 220-Lumens, Black Finish: Hardware

They're bright, it was a big upgrade from my SL4. It's the only light I use at night. Fits completely in my BC pocket.

My buddy had a C4 Xenon - the Dorcy was very close to the same output. The beam was a little tighter at about 60' also.

If you're near a Home Depot, they sell a small plated quick-link that goes through the hole so you can attach it to whatever you want.

I've used a couple of these for about 3-4 years now. Penetrater 220 $42. 6AAA's, IPX 8 certified (100M), double o-ring sealed. Twist-on, one set of batteries lasted me a week of night dives+

View attachment 183530

It's this light - mine from Piranha say Dorcy on the case:

Amazon.com: Dorcy 41-1467 Dive II Submersible Anti-Corrosion LED Diving Flashlight with Nylon Lanyard, 220-Lumens, Black Finish: Hardware

They're bright, it was a big upgrade from my SL4. It's the only light I use at night.

My buddy had a C4 Xenon - the Dorcy was very close to the same output. The beam was a little tighter at about 60' also.

Yes, I've been looking at that. Also, this one:
Amazon.com: SecurityIng® Professional Aircraft Grade Aluminum 500Lm CREE LED Lamp Torch Light, Newest CREE XM-L U2 LED High Quality Diving LED Lamp Flashlight , Bright Cree U2 LED Flashllight Lamp Torch for Diving, Camping and Other Indoor/ Outdoor A

I don't for a minute believe the lumens, but I like the 3xAA vs. 6xAAA. (Just as the Dorcy 41-1467 seems to be a Penetrater 220, the Secritying DIV03 seems to be a Brinyte DIV03.)

---------- Post added May 6th, 2014 at 05:08 PM ----------

We have a few of these, couldn't be happier, although some think they are too bright.

DRIS Dive Gear 1000 Lumen Dive Light | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

I tied on a bolt snap and it resides on my harness hog style. I have taken them on probably around 100 dives thus far with zero issues.

And this appears to be the Brinyte DIV01: Yeguang Technology

Last edited:
Why not just send the lamp back to UK and have them do an upgrade? The LED module fits right in. That is what we basically did. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Why not just send the lamp back to UK and have them do an upgrade? The LED module fits right in. That is what we basically did. Reduce, reuse, recycle.

For how much? High performance LED modules using well-rated CREE LEDs from reputable manufacturers are available for under $15 that render much higher quality than the UK C4 eLED; no-name modules (still CREE) under $15 delivered. That's what I meant about the UK value problem I mentioned in my original post -- unless UK's module were, oh, $25 at most, I'd conclude that the balance of what I was paying for was the name.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2014 at 11:56 AM ----------

I just finished 4 100+ feet wreck dives in Hawaii. My Magicshine light worked great.

Amazon.com: MagicShine SCUBA Diving LED Flashlight with Battery and Charger, 1000-Lumen, Black: Sports & Outdoors

The 18650 batteries are rechareable and there are plenty of aftermarket higher state of charge batteries available. I have it in my hand on this wreck dive.

I'm torn on the 18650 question -- although there's nothing inherently unreasonable, and it seems to be the direction the higher end is going, I don't want to deal with yet another battery format. I already deal with CR123 (disposable) and AA (Eneloop FTW) -- I'm averse to adding another format.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom