So who is the better diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No there is no such thing as perfect or ideal. As for not "rocket surgery" I'm not sure about that from the amount of thread time trim gets on SB and the apparent speciality classes devoted to achieving just that.

Honestly, I think that you get a lot more out of working on your trim and buoyancy control by yourself. It really is as simple as Archimedes' Principle and just thinking about it. I believe that most people gain far greater understanding by figuring it out themselves than being told what to do.

...//... I am fascinated with the concept of perfect trim but not enough that I have any desire to pursue it.

It is all about the ability to achieve any given trim at will, it isn't about looking good. Hard to explain but I'll try.

It is something that has to be experienced. I have achieved neutral trim and buoyancy for a bit, but I can't do same at will.

For me, the feeling was transformational, Zen as some have called it in another thread. It really is. When I "become one with the particulate matter", I immediately feel like I belong there rather than feeling that I am masterfully maintaining my position via superior skills. Very hard to put into words.

YMMV, but I don't really think that it will...

I think the best way to master trim and neutral buoyancy is to start with freediving. Even then, you will find the perfect weight at a specific depth due to suit and lung compression. But you will be able to feel it with much fewer distractions. Once you "get it", Scuba is much easier.

Easy for me buoyancy When I see a diver that has control of his buoyancy that one thing says more than gear setup or any other single thing

I don't think good trim and buoyancy is a critical skill in and of itself. If it were, then the only benefit would be in looking good.

The benefits of good trim and buoyancy are found when doing other things like holding position when task loaded or holding perfectly still while taking photographs.

I completely get the Zen aspect that you are describing. And could not agree more with other posters that precise buoyancy control is a core skill that all dives should strive for and when combined with trim is a thing of beauty. But, to me, it seems that trim itself, not buoyancy, is more a matter a consistent gear configuration and weight distribution (and perhaps a controlled environment) then a learned physical skill.

I completely get the Zen aspect that you are describing. And could not agree more with other posters that precise buoyancy control is a core skill that all dives should strive for and when combined with trim is a thing of beauty. But, to me, it seems that trim itself, not buoyancy, is more a matter a consistent gear configuration and weight distribution (and perhaps a controlled environment) then a learned physical skill.

Also consider that the applying the full set of skills gathered under the auspices of TRIM also encompass the practice of taking only what is needed to conduct the dive safely... broadly speaking, trim becomes the antithesis of clutter allowing the diver to avoid one pitfall: Task loading associated with too much gear. I think I wrote a book about that! LOL

Asking this question under the auspices of "who is the better diver" is a bit of a misnomer. I think a more helpful, and accurate question would be, "what is an ideal diver?"

An ideal diver is one who has experience commensurate with their dive log.
An ideal diver is always seeking knowledge, tricks, and tips from their fellow divers about how to make their diving (and by extension, their dive buddies') and skills better.
An ideal diver will have experience with different kinds of gear, but if a diver is competent, having to switch from one style to another isn't enough to cause major issues (within reason, of course).
An ideal diver is always willing to listen.
An ideal diver will never put their own desires over conducting a safe dive for all involved.
An ideal diver will scale back their own desires/training while diving with someone less advanced/competent in order to ensure safety and give the junior diver a better experience.
An ideal diver will never lord their experience over "lesser" divers, and will actively seek to act as a mentor (in whatever capacity it might be) to divers with less bottom time.
An ideal diver will be a steward of the world's waterways, leaving them cleaner when they arrived, and do what they can to help with conservancy.

I'm sure there are hundreds more I could add, but that's a good start. :)

Back
Top Bottom