Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rocdoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,
I am brand new to diving, as new as they come, fresh shark bait, most likely to be found floating face down, all of that :)
I decided to explore it because in the past 3-4 years I pick a new way to express my midlife crisis every year, and scuba won this year :) The issue is that I am getting seriously hooked, which is nice... I am just getting certified, I have one trip planned (Bonaire in August), and look forward to diving a lot, taking a lot of video and photos (photography is a long standing passion), meeting cool people, and finding new ways to avoid getting old...
I'm in the Bethesda area of the Washington DC metro region. Among other things, I want to take advantage of the possibility of diving in the National Aquarium in Baltimore, which seems a pretty awesome thing to do for newbs.
Quick curiosity question: do most people end up buying their own gear as they start out? I am tempted, but don't want to rush into anything. I'm talking beyond mask/snorkel/fins/wetsuit/booties, which I already have - I mean reg and bcd and the works. I will probably at the very least get a computer of my own - likely one that can be worn as a watch as well. Any thoughts or experiences from other former newbies would be appreciated.
blub!

Welcome to SCUBA and ScubaBoard. I didn't buy my own gear for some time, but that was because I lived in the Midwest where diving was seasonal. When I moved to SoCal and year-round diving in 1969, I did purchase my basic gear with the exception of tanks and regs which were provided by my workplace. After I left that job 10 years later I acquired my own tanks and reg.

Many start out by buying their own gear, but then many leave SCUBA in a relatively short time because they find it just isn't for them. If you already know you want to keep diving, acquiring your equipment over time (while testing product via rentals, etc.) is probably a good idea.

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

Have Fun Diving.

howdy and welcome..i agree with drbill....try stuff out first then decide what you want...get some experience then get the camera...learn to dive second nature before recording the underwater world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom