The lovely topic of Tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lilkittydiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So I'm not buying one right now, but I am wanting to really understand better the technical side.

If you are reading this post, you are out to buy a new tank, maybe 2. HP steel, LP steel, or aluminum? State your preferences why, Negative/Positive experiences, etc..

All information welcome, but if anything is said out of personal experience/use, I will be sure to pay extra attention. Go! :wink:

Personally, I have gone from owning 2 300Bar 10L tanks, to 2 Double 12L 232Bar rigs.

I have also used D8.5L 232Bar.

I love my doubles, and use them for all kind of diving I do. I dive in cold waters from -1C in the winter to 20C in the summer. I always use a drysuit, and I always dive doubles. I love my tanks because of their buoyancy characteristics.

Hello. Did you know that there is an entire forum dedicated to tanks? It's possible that your question has been debated previously there if you'd like to take a look. Here is a link to it: Tanks, Valves and Bands

Imla- I'm somewhat interested in doubles, but don't want to jump into anything too fast thats unnecessary. I'd prefer to log a good few more dives before doing doubles. But Do tell your experiences with them please! :)

---------- Post added May 13th, 2014 at 10:30 AM ----------

Any advice on learning doubles?

I think the answer you're going to get is going to depend on a few factors ...

- where you dive
- the types of dives you want to do
- how much you want to spend.

I personally own a bunch of tanks ... AL80's, LP95's, HP100's, HP119's, and HP130's

Of them all, the most versatile for where I dive (cold water) are the HP100's. They hold sufficient gas to be good for a reasonably long dive as a single tank, they're negatively buoyant even when empty so they result in my having to wear less weight, and they trim out beautifully as either sidemount tanks or manifolded doubles ... plus they're not much heavier than an AL80 which makes carrying them around out of the water nice. Their downside is that they tend to be spendy ($350 per tank or so), and in some parts of the world it'd be hard to get a good fill in a high pressure tank. Also if you're diving warm water they may be too negatively buoyant, depending on what you're using for exposure gear.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've got Al80s. They were easier on the wallet (than steel) and I think are great for single tank dives. About their only downside is their positive buoyancy at the end of the dive, especially where I dive mostly cold water. But they're manageable.

I've got Al80s. They were easier on the wallet (than steel) and I think are great for single tank dives. About their only downside is their positive buoyancy at the end of the dive, especially where I dive mostly cold water. But they're manageable.

Don't all tanks get lighter at the end of a dive? So what is special about AL80's that makes you comment on it?

I use a cam strap with a 2lb weight attached at the bottom to trim AL80s. Last year I had a lot of issues with rental tanks in Indonesia as they had no boot on them like most rentals and they go real "floaty" at the end of each dive.

My tank collection has changed over the years, when I lived in Jeddah I ended up with 16 tanks at one stage, I sold all my AL80s and shipped only 2x63s, 4x50s and 2x30s to Dubai.

Now I have added 3xAL80s, 2xAL13s and a set of HP7.9L twins. two of the AL50s have been twinned and one is set up as a stage. I had an HP100 for a couple of years but sold it to one of my buddies who needs it more than me.

The AL63s are being filled right now

---------- Post added May 13th, 2014 at 08:15 PM ----------

Don't all tanks get lighter at the end of a dive? So what is special about AL80's that makes you comment on it?

HP tanks tend to remain either negative or neutral buoyant depending on what exposure suit you are wearing, AL80s definitely get floaty

Go withFaber LP 80's. With fills of 3800 psi they will be 120's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another factor will be the shops where you're getting them filled. It's routine to fill LP tanks to 3500 psi on more in cave country, but in many places you'll be lucky to get the standard "+" fill, even if the tank is stamped for it. You might also have to consider whether they'll need to be kept O2 clean, depending on how your local shop does Nitrox fills. Ideally, you'd be able to try a number of different tanks to see which ones make it the easiest for you to stay in trim. If I was only going to have single style, though, it would the the LP85. Mine are Worthington, but I hear they're currently getting very hard to find. Fabers are a little lighter in the water, and a little longer.

---------- Post added May 13th, 2014 at 01:53 PM ----------

The Al80s are notorious for having the butt float up as they empty. You're right, though, 100cf of gas weighs the same whatever tank it's in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom