Cannabis and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might conclude that too if I didn't know better. This topic requires a foothold and is important. When people, especially with medical titles, comment on the OP as though it says something it doesn't, should it be pointed out? especially when very derogatory towards the original poster?
I might conclude you were just backing up DDM.. It's 2014, it's time to take this seriously. Derogatory or off hand remarks about the medicine a person chooses to use, or even to use recreationally over booze will be met with equal disregard towards attacker, so PLEASE enough.
As I read the thread, we are under diving 'medicine' not legalities and certainly not for attacking anyone, or is it?

Okay, I read the tone of your posts as making an argument--I would almost say impassioned argument--about medical marijuana. Many people do hold strong opinions one way or the other on the issue. I guess I'm used to seeing this forum used for asking questions of medical professionals and others with some knowledge of diving medicine about diving-related medical issues, not so much for arguing. But you didn't start this thread, just revived it. Perhaps my tongue-in-cheek remark was uncalled for.

If the OP's question is about him/her. (Can i dive under the influence, or do i have to give it up) I agree its a stupid question. If its about how much can i depend on an instabuddy who may have spent the previous night high, that's another matter. All this makes me question where is the diving comunity going to draw the line. Whether it is legal or not has no bearing on its physical effect of the users. To say that it is legal is some states is also a bogus argument. Can you keep a job in a state that its use is legal. Should pot heads be taxi drivers pilots public transportation providers. Should they be your DIVING INSTRUCTOR, YOUR BUDDY, YOUR BOAT OPERATOR, A BOAT MAINTENANCE MAN , OR THE TANK MONKEY ,OR THE DECK HAND. In addition the question assumes that pot is the only chemical involved. (IF YOUARE USING ONE YOU ARE PROBABLY USING OTHER DRUGS ALSO) When i go on a boat and boat hand looks stoned and I walk off and ask for my money back, will I be told NO that it is legal in that state. Or my perceived safety concerns are abated by its legality. The notion that someone will report such activity is foolish to a degree as many has posted with pot is no big deal attitudes. Drinking is no big deal either, its the DUI related accident thats the bummer. There will be those that will say I can not prove that someone on pot is on anything else at the same time. To those I say you cant prove they are not and when I choose to error at all it will be on the side of caution.

Will a mod please move this to the pub? I'd love to see Cacia and the "friendly" crowd get a hold of this one. Talk about a successful troll.

Okay, I read the tone of your posts as making an argument--I would almost say impassioned argument--about medical marijuana. Many people do hold strong opinions one way or the other on the issue. I guess I'm used to seeing this forum used for asking questions of medical professionals and others with some knowledge of diving medicine about diving-related medical issues, not so much for arguing. But you didn't start this thread, just revived it. Perhaps my tongue-in-cheek remark was uncalled for.

I've been told I don't always get sarcasm, thanks for making yours so apparent. :acclaim: I'm not much of a poster here, but when I do post I hope it is not for a waste of my time, but to share and receive information. I'm sorry I'm very much a square peg socially and quite content with it, all the same this subject is a serious one for many divers, myself included so I posted to share and learn.
Rhetorical - Do you think no one dives that uses cannabis? Do you think they are not entitled to talk about this subject without being harassed by half wit types? Is it more important to defend the individual at the expense of the truth or the ability of others to discuss diving safety on a subject you yourself may not be perfectly inline with? Are these questions making anyone a little uncomfortable? Do you ever admit it when they do?
If I seemed impassioned it is because I am, in that I did have knowledge on a subject and tried to share that in what I thought(medicine) was the correct area of the forums. I'm not a troll, good grief!! Please look at my past posts on diabetes. I have way better things to do with my time then waste it playing games on a forum.

Whoever said about sending this to the 'friendly' crowd should see most have been friendly and think this is a good idea to discuss.

---------- Post added May 13th, 2014 at 05:47 PM ----------

Hi KMS and Locust,
I know you really believe strongly in what you write, or at least what you saw about 50% having 'bad trips'. It's a legitimate fear to someone who only knows what we were told(and no this is not a pro anything argument), I get that.
But, what you guys are not understanding is that many people you know and have dove with are cannabis users. It's just a simple fact. Consider that many are afraid to post on this subject for fear of your guys condemnation. Is what you read that conflicts with every recent study for over a decade on 'bad trips', or your desire to error on the side of caution(me too) are of more value then the ability of others to speak for fear of judgement and persecution?
Posters will see all your dives and many postings and be fearful to displease you or to cause you to have reason to look down upon them, it's human nature and as a result they will go without the ability to share their knowledge or learn from those who otherwise would. As I am given to understand that is a hallmark of why we are here on this forum. I would very kindly ask that you guys give us divers who use cannabis the ability to post without fear of attack, or misrepresentation, and I ask this of the moderator as well. This is no longer a joke or fringe science and it is hurtful to those who suffer with no other options to heal themselves being called pothead or dope fiend.
My previous posting on diabetes can be your assurance I am no troll, nor do I come here to idle away my time. I want to learn and I want to share, nothing more.
Moderator, this posting is no joke, thank you.

My comments are not about those who as you put it are usign for healing needs. They would probably not be gearing up to dive anyway. Its the recreational users using medical need to justify thier addictions. Got a hang nail and i need pot. This is a pot friendly state and you cant question me about my usage. I by the way I have the same position for drinking as well as drug use. Yes drinking is legal also but it doesnt belong behnid the wheel or in the water. I know there are many who claim they only drink for medicinal purposes. For many i guess , just because your eyes are glassy adn you have slurred speech it doesnt necessary mean you are on something. It ould be in fact an illness. Then again I would not see them on a boat gearing up at the helm. In regards to pot heads being afraid to post thier opinions , I suggest they try to post thier opinions on some law enforcement board about how wrong it is to discriminate against toking and driving. Sorry forgot about the paranoia aspects. The cop board thing wouldnt happen would it. I guess the non sober are the victoms in this.

I've been told I don't always get sarcasm, thanks for making yours so apparent. :acclaim: I'm not much of a poster here, but when I do post I hope it is not for a waste of my time, but to share and receive information. I'm sorry I'm very much a square peg socially and quite content with it, all the same this subject is a serious one for many divers, myself included so I posted to share and learn.
Rhetorical - Do you think no one dives that uses cannabis? Do you think they are not entitled to talk about this subject without being harassed by half wit types? Is it more important to defend the individual at the expense of the truth or the ability of others to discuss diving safety on a subject you yourself may not be perfectly inline with? Are these questions making anyone a little uncomfortable? Do you ever admit it when they do?
If I seemed impassioned it is because I am, in that I did have knowledge on a subject and tried to share that in what I thought(medicine) was the correct area of the forums. I'm not a troll, good grief!! Please look at my past posts on diabetes. I have way better things to do with my time then waste it playing games on a forum.

Whoever said about sending this to the 'friendly' crowd should see most have been friendly and think this is a good idea to discuss.

---------- Post added May 13th, 2014 at 05:47 PM ----------

Hi KMS and Locust,
I know you really believe strongly in what you write, or at least what you saw about 50% having 'bad trips'. It's a legitimate fear to someone who only knows what we were told(and no this is not a pro anything argument), I get that.
But, what you guys are not understanding is that many people you know and have dove with are cannabis users. It's just a simple fact. Consider that many are afraid to post on this subject for fear of your guys condemnation. Is what you read that conflicts with every recent study for over a decade on 'bad trips', or your desire to error on the side of caution(me too) are of more value then the ability of others to speak for fear of judgement and persecution?
Posters will see all your dives and many postings and be fearful to displease you or to cause you to have reason to look down upon them, it's human nature and as a result they will go without the ability to share their knowledge or learn from those who otherwise would. As I am given to understand that is a hallmark of why we are here on this forum. I would very kindly ask that you guys give us divers who use cannabis the ability to post without fear of attack, or misrepresentation, and I ask this of the moderator as well. This is no longer a joke or fringe science and it is hurtful to those who suffer with no other options to heal themselves being called pothead or dope fiend.
My previous posting on diabetes can be your assurance I am no troll, nor do I come here to idle away my time. I want to learn and I want to share, nothing more.
Moderator, this posting is no joke, thank you.

Hi KWS,
I think the question here is how will anyone know much of anything on this forum about this important subject when posters are attacked and harrassed just for posting their true thoughts or experiences?
More than anything you just might think I'm full of it and that's fair enough. Even though you made a foolish comment about me forgetting about the 'paranoia' aspects in your posts I will not respond in kind. Not because you are a nice guy, but because you are genuinely uneducated, and that is not a crime or is it totally uncommon, even today.

"In regards to pot heads being afraid to post thier opinions , I suggest they try to post thier opinions on some law enforcement board about how wrong it is to discriminate against toking and driving. Sorry forgot about the paranoia aspects. The cop board thing wouldnt happen would it. I guess the non sober are the victims in this."

For the record, I think I posted my opinions quite clearly to all concerned about cannabis use for medicine in my state to all authorities.
http://www.wbtv.com/story/24449750/disabled-vet-fighting-for-nc-medical-marijuana-appears-in-court

Robert Dorr NC, google that name for a dozen more stories. It's real medicine, real people die for want of it and until this community is secure for its members to post freely about the use of it, we are under siege by your posting prestige and ignorance.

Once again I ask that this thread be moderated until such time as the attacks and misrepresentations end. I certainly don't like being labeled as a stoned diver or dope fiend. Please stop using your ignorance on the subject as an excuse to attack people who came here to learn and share.

"While perhaps it's true that it would be hard to smoke enough marijuana to do yourself in from respiratory depression, it's not hard to smoke enough to put yourself at higher risk of permanent brain dysfunction or any one of a number of different types of cancer."

This is both a quote from you and total fiction. Cannabis is called a "far superior" treatment for Alzheimer's by the 2009, by the National Institute of Health. That doesn't sound like brain dysfunction. A recent study published in the US Library of Medicine concluded that cannabis, when used by young people while binge drinking, actually PROTECTS the brain, NOT harms it. Head, throat and neck cancers are less then half as
common in regular cannabis users as non users, etc, etc..If you have an interest I will post one or both for you. Also, just last month the federal gov't approved the clinical trials of cannabis for PTSD. The reason for this is that it has shown enormous anecdotal evidence of effectiveness at not only treating the PTSD, but in helping vets come off of narcotics, end alcoholism and get off antidepressants. Is that a BAD thing to you?

CANNABIS USE AND RISK OF LUNG CANCER: A CASE-CONTROL STUDY
Marijuana Users Have Abnormal Brain Structure and Poor Memory: Northwestern University News
Cannabis use and cognitive dysfunction

These answers may not suit your palette, but they are no less true and we must treat them as such. This is a divers forum, I didn't come on to joke around or be rude. I want to help educate and begin this very important and very long overdue subject in our diving communities.
People with medical titles must be at the forefront of facts and the truth! It is literally a medical necessity. I usually try to let well intentioned people off without firing back, but you heartless. Now, my once rec use makes me a bad guy? And please, in the furtherance of the subject could you give as many of my misrepresentations of the plant as possible so I can publicly dispel them for you in this thread? I had to do this research myself when people like you told me I just wanted to get high, or to give the pills that were killing me a 'little more time', that the side effects were necessary and unavoidable. You bet I will be indignant to people like you when you misspeak on it, particularly as you have a title. If you'r a beacon for others because of your profession, you must be careful not to misinform.

Like I said, I'm all for medical marijuana when there's evidence that it works. There's nothing heartless about telling you, or anyone else who happens to be reading this, that there is a difference between recreational use and medical use, that people should not dive on any type of mind-altering substance, and that passionate advocates of legalization of recreational marijuana tend to muddy the waters when it comes to medical marijuana. I think we're hound dogs barking up the same tree here.

Regards,
DDM

Chemical burns in your lungs yet you smoke? Or are you medicating by ingestion?

Ive got to admit that you know how to shovel it. No one is being attacked or harrrassed. Your opinion is just not shared or agreed with like you want it to be. Paranoia???? listen to your self. Read you last paragraph. I have never met a head that did not accuse the non heads of being uneducated. We have a pot head here that says he smokes to control constipation, I asked when he last had an attack. He said couldnt remember but that that was proof that it was a working medicine. Old tatic, it dont fly. I think that I can agree with another poster that suggested that this be moved to the bar. I am sure you will find many there who need educated. Well have to go ,... I just found out i have a hang nail and need some jack to cure it.

Hi KWS,
I think the question here is how will anyone know much of anything on this forum about this important subject when posters are attacked and harrassed just for posting their true thoughts or experiences?
More than anything you just might think I'm full of it and that's fair enough. Even though you made a foolish comment about me forgetting about the 'paranoia' aspects in your posts I will not respond in kind. Not because you are a nice guy, but because you are genuinely uneducated, and that is not a crime or is it totally uncommon, even today.

"In regards to pot heads being afraid to post thier opinions , I suggest they try to post thier opinions on some law enforcement board about how wrong it is to discriminate against toking and driving. Sorry forgot about the paranoia aspects. The cop board thing wouldnt happen would it. I guess the non sober are the victims in this."

For the record, I think I posted my opinions quite clearly to all concerned about cannabis use for medicine in my state to all authorities.
http://www.wbtv.com/story/24449750/disabled-vet-fighting-for-nc-medical-marijuana-appears-in-court

Robert Dorr NC, google that name for a dozen more stories. It's real medicine, real people die for want of it and until this community is secure for its members to post freely about the use of it, we are under siege by your posting prestige and ignorance.

Once again I ask that this thread be moderated until such time as the attacks and misrepresentations end. I certainly don't like being labeled as a stoned diver or dope fiend. Please stop using your ignorance on the subject as an excuse to attack people who came here to learn and share.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom