Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in Key Largo right now and the weather forced our dives to be cancelled. Thinking of driving up for the Force-E night dive tonight. Anybody think weather will be an issue at BHB?

Weather doesn't normally affect BHB too much. With the caveat being viz may suffer. I plan to go tonight. Both Force E and Pura Vida offer dives tonight at BHB. The stores may have a viz report from this morning--call Force E I suggest to sign up and get the info...........You will need to go into the store to sign waivers and get a parking pass. Pick up a BHB site map there as well. Hi tide is 8:28pm, so get in the water by around 7:30. Read up on the Force E or Pura Vida facebook pages under events for more info...........

I got blown out of Key Largo too, I will be looking for someone to dive with tonight at the BHB and am going back to the Keys tomorrow afternoon as it is supposed to be down to 2 ft seas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like we've got some divers coming up from the keys. Remember you guys need flags and lights. You are expected to call the dive shop in advance to register. Don't be afraid to say hi and mention you are on SB. :)

We went last night and conditions were very nice.
I would put vis at 20 feet and a consistent temp of 77.
Lots of interesting behavior, including the most octos I've ever seen on a dive there, literally everywhere you looked.
On the down side found a large lionfish just south of the second span west bridge.
After a thorough muck stick pummelling he finally made an escape into the legs.
The greenpeace tip of my muck stick was unable to penetrate and he had an annoying habit of charging me with fins out. I doubt this was his first encounter with someone meaning him ill.
Sadly, his spines were longer than my hand so knifeing him would be risky.
Will post some critter pics later if Kelly has time.
John

Last edited:
Hi, just wanted to say hello as I was directed here from another thread. I am very new to the site. I am OW, Nitrox and AOW certified though right after that certification I had to stop diving :(

All my dive buddies had moved, was considering solo diving BHB as I love this place, especially the price! Lol. I want to dive again, was unsure if you all are a part of scuba dive clubs or simply use this site to act as one for dive meet ups.

Now to go back through and read some posts!

Glad you found this thread! Welcome. We are a loose bunch of divers, some of us know each other as buddies, some we know just online, and some..somewhere inbetween. LOL This thread is for all things Trolls. Lots of people will share photos, but not the location of said critter because there are some lurkers here who are also collectors. So, if you want to see something that was posted and wonder why nobody is telling you the ultra secret location, it's not that we don't like you, it's that we are protecting the critter. Eventually, you keep posting here and diving, we get to know you and know if you can be trusted or not.
If you are heading to the bridge, post your intentions. You are likely to find somebody diving that same day, or if you prefer to solo, well, that's OK too. Lots of us solo.
Enjoy!

Hoping the weather will cooperate for Friday morning 💦

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last night--viz about 15 ft before dark. My Suunto showed 79 thruout the dive and MrChen's computer had 77, I got cold after an hour of meandering very slowly but went another hour anyway. We saw several octos out and about one of which had an encounter with a horseshoe crab also out and about--the crab just crawled across the octo without saying excusemeplease-as I watched the crab approach wondering if the octo might slap it around a bit--nope, the octo was just another little sand hill!! We also saw a linked pair of horseshoes doing their thing and I wondered if the solo crab was trying to track'em down!! Lots of shrimp of all sizes out--some eatin' size--most really tiny--it was a busy night at BHB.

Light and Motion did a demo evening where you could sign out a light and play. They have a very small one now that runs a varied brightness and has a variety of front ends available. It also recharges from USB and has a sealed battery. Most came back with some power remaining.

A first for me, bristle worms up in the water column. They seemed attracted to lights. Only a couple did this of the hundreds we saw--MrChen will have some interesting video coming soon. Is this behavior some sort of reproductive deal or what?

Interesting dive, we hope to repeat it in 2 weeks when both Force E and Pura Vida sponsor night dives again.............

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom