night photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frosty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey folks when it comes to taking pictures underwater I'm far from an expert.
Current camera is an Intova IC14 which honestly is usually just fine for what I'm doing.
But I'm really enjoying night dives with the whole new lot of sealife that reveals.
Trouble is I want to take pictures of it all.
so how on earth do you juggle torch and camera etc and actually get decentish pics of what you are looking at.

Torch? What's that?

I just use the target lights on my Ys110 strobes. They provide more than enough light for high viz Caribbean night dives.

I keep my arms fairly loose and push both strobes together so that the target lights point in the same direction. When a picture opportunity occurs I move one strobe away into shooting position.

Unless you have managed to grow an extra hand you will find that a camera and an independent light are pretty hard to handle.

Unless you have managed to grow an extra hand you will find that a camera and an independent light are pretty hard to handle.
YA DONT SAY :rofl3:
i was down there with my intova IFL660 tucked in the top of the sleeve of my suit and the HUGE pistol grip beastie the Dive op supplied in the other hand. -Wish I'd left that on the boat to be honest. trying to juggle that lot when I wanted to take a pic was a frikken joke.
In fairness vis was down to 15 feet thanks to construction work in the area.

---------- Post added May 15th, 2014 at 06:23 PM ----------

so being serious. You guys bolt the focus lights on the camera then move the whole plot as your torch?

Yes, if you move slowly (as you should) then a focus light is all you need.

I use a sola photo as focus light on the camera. Also typically have a smaller light on the back on my hand in a goodman glove. Not sure I'll continue that since my new strobe has a focus light built in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a Sola Photo 800 focus light mounted to my macro port's cold-shoe mount. I usually keep it on low, using it as a dive light at the same time.

I use a Sola Photo 800 focus light mounted to my macro port's cold-shoe mount. I usually keep it on low, using it as a dive light at the same time.

I love using my video/focus lite as my nite dive lite..........Makes nite diving a lot easier & funner...:)

Back
Top Bottom