Diver assaults another diver underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said 1bubbleoff. Just having 2 video points of view alone raised flags for me, they were looking to make the news.

I agree with both of the above posts. I live on the Kona coast and am frankly tired of the environmentalist pushing their agenda on others. They tried for years to ban collecting and failed. Just last year they had a slight victory with a size and species limitation called the white list. Apparently that wasn't good enough so they target and harass divers legally making a living. Numerous scientific studies have been written claiming the fishery is sustainable. Now that their efforts have failed in the courts they are on to harassing divers to fulfill their cause. The staged filming is a disgrace and I have no sympathy for the woman involved.

It is utterly disgusting to see so many people express sympathy for the perpetrators of a violent assault.

Regardless of whether or not the film makers anticipated battery, there is no excuse for violent attacks, and the perpetrators must be held fully accountable for what could be considered attempted murder.

People's tolerance for violence is skewed badly.

I THINK.....and lest I anger the thought gawds...and this is only MY OPINION.....

After watching the ENTIRE video available....I can't help but think...the entire episode was premeditated..staged...scripted...by the parties filming. They show video PRIOR to the dive...where they pretty much targeted..the divers boat. They went STRAIGHT for it...had a plan in place to splash one diver while others FILMED the encounter. The topside videographer never even WAVERED...when his "buddy"...was "assaulted". That camera stayed right on the perpetrator from the git go.
Call me cynical...pessimistic...caustic...or just a realist. I beleive that entire group went looking for trouble. I think they KNEW there would be an altercation based on prior history and counted on it in order to film the results, post it in a public forum, and than cry "wolf".
I am not a spearer...I'm not a collector...I'm just a diver. But I also believe that NO ONE has the right to enforce their belief system on me against my will.
For all I know.....that individual has EVERY right to be where he was, doing what he was doing...maybe even with a proper PERMIT if that was needed.
Sorry Marge...or Sea Shepard..or PETA...or someone with 10k dives against the consumption of gummy bears...whatever your cause may be. Until a set of facts emerge to convince me differently...I think you got exactly...WHAT YOU PLANNED FOR. IMO your lucky you didn't get yourself into serious trouble.
If that guy was me trying to feed his kids...you or do his job... I'd consider your actions a THREAT...and respond accordingly. And except the consequences of my actions. But hey....what do I know...it's just MY opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised they went looking, but the one thing they could not control was the collector's behavior -- even if he was dumb enough that they were able to predict his reaction in advance.

As for threats, legally speaking you'd be dead wrong. Emphasis on the dead part, if your target chose to exercise their right to respond to unlawful deadly force in kind. The smart thing to do is get out, make a complaint, and get on with life. The dumb thing to do is commit an assault and battery without any visible justification.

It is utterly disgusting to see so many people express sympathy for the perpetrators of a violent assault.

Regardless of whether or not the film makers anticipated battery, there is no excuse for violent attacks, and the perpetrators must be held fully accountable for what could be considered attempted murder.

This x 10

You suggest the ends justify the means. Its ok to break the law as long as it is a self determined good reason. Why dont we just add that the attacker had a bad childhood to boot? Granted I do not think that the action was meant to be very harmful but more an intimidating act to scare the tree hugger as it has been put. What makes the act productive for the attacker is that the victom believes it was a life threatening act. As i see it the agressor could have shot a speer near to her with no intent to harm as a means to run her off. It is he same act. What if she did suffer a health issue from this? What would be the excse? "I didnt know the gun was loaded. I didnt know her secondry did not work. I did not know she had a weak heart. She chould have just left the area and by not doing so she was asking for it. I believe its called blame the victom. To support this kind of reasoning is almost as offensive as the act itself. And as far as a working guy being stopped by a enviro-nazi. Is that just the situation with a traffc speed trap. Darned speed nazi's with radar guns. I dont know enough to say I agree with the victom however nothing justifies the threat to another diver. Even if the enviro nazi is the one at fault as suggested. In this situation the turning a blind eye is worse that the offence. Finally if you say the guy was jsutified because he was trying to make a living then you hafe to use the same logic for drug dealers pimps , pro's, and contraban runners ect.

They need to find this guy and try him on seperate counts of assult, poaching, illegal harvest, no license, his dog stinks, and anything else that can be thought up. If not we are all at risk to this kind fo behavior.

Are you serious? Go to jail for taking someones regulator out. You people need to chill. It's not a big deal you just put it back in. In fact, you have two to choose from.
Settle down SCUBA police.

The guy was trying to make a living and was being harassed by the damn enviro-nazi's. This radical approach similar to the Sea Shepherd is not OK. They are out to make headlines to further their agenda and all the sheep fall for it. I guarantee you there is more to the story but you will never hear it. Poor me I was attacked (after provoking) Ban this, ban that.
What do you want the guy to do for a living if they ban his job. Go on welfare?

I don't know. Read Paul Watson and the Sea Shepherd Societies philosophy on using violence as a means to an end. I can't help thinking of the phrase "live by the sword, die by the sword". It's pretty hard to b_tch about someone using the same tactics you use yourself.

Regarding Hawaii's laws on harassment of a fisherman:

Hawaii Statutes - Part II: FISHING REGULATIONS, GENERALLY

It is not clear to me that a person holding an Aquarium Permit is legally defined as a fisherman.

Haw. Rev. Stat. § 188-31 : Hawaii Statutes - Section 188-31: Permits to take aquatic life for aquarium purposes.

As the main statute does not contain language with definitions.

More over the law regarding harassment is for freshwater fishing.

Haw. Rev. Stat. § 188-71 : Hawaii Statutes - Section 188-71: Harassment of fishermen; prohibition.

Hawaii Statutes - Section 188-71: Harassment of fishermen; prohibition.

(a) No person shall intentionally prevent or attempt to prevent the lawful taking of fish by a person licensed pursuant to section 188-50

Haw. Rev. Stat. § 188-50 : Hawaii Statutes - Section 188-50: License; application; fees; restrictions.

Hawaii Statutes - Section 188-50: License; application; fees; restrictions.

(a) It is unlawful for any person, except children below nine years of age, to fish, take, or catch any introduced freshwater game fish without first obtaining a license.

Everything in 188-50 is in regards to freshwater.

I believe this may be why a past citation for harassment of an fish collector was dropped - misapplication of the law.

Last edited by a moderator:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been split.

The off topic portion has been moved here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pub/483499-spit-diver-assaults-another-diver-underwater.html. The thread was split without reshuffling. If you see a post in the Pub portion that really should be here because by some miracle it was actually on-topic then report that post and ask to have it moved back.

Be aware that the split thread is in the Pub. If you click on the link and it isn't working then you will need to opt-in to the Pub before you can order more popcorn.

The remaining part of this thread will be monitored more closely. Be aware, this thread is in the Basic forum so rules for Green zones apply. Further off-topic content in this thread will be removed and not moved. Finally, please make an effort to stay on topic. This is the second major intervention we've had to make on this thread and it would be a shame if we had to lock it because people aren't respecting the Green zone rules.

Last edited:

I am with you all the way. It is just ridiculous that people are trying to justify the violence. I can't believe in a supposed civilized country like the United States, people think like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom