Any deep quarries in DC/VA/MD area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are several quarries in NC

There are the two commercial ones Fantasy Lake near Raleigh and Bluestone a bit further west. Fantasy Lake has a 70 plus foot hole and some 60 plus depths. Not sure about Bluestone.

Then there are three quarries that belong to PDRA and which you can get a membership. Believe some of these get deeper like 90 ft but I have not done them as deep dives.

I think I maxed at 95 feet in the silt at the U1105. The vis is bad, but I'd love to dive it again. I also plan to go to Mt Storm sometime this summer - maybe camp somewhere around there.

Let me know if you want to dive either of those Aziz. I also want to try to find my anchor that I lost while diving the Potomac near Mt Vernon with the Institute of Maritime History. It is near a wreck no deeper than 18 ft.

Here is my toy that we can dive from (good for 2 divers)

View attachment 183626

Small world, I was diving that day with IMH when you lost the anchor. Shoot me a PM I'd be happy to help you look. If your interested in diving the 1105 you should join up with the Battle of the Atlantic Research and Expedition Group (BAREG). We do the 1105 mooring recovery and replacement every year for the state. If you are interested shoot me a PM and I'll put you in touch with the organization leaders.

More info on the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Battle-of-the-Atlantic-Research-and-Expedition-Group/197605283676035

I have personally been to 126 ft several times at MT Storm in the trench out from the deep platform. It's dark but vis was for the most part decent. I have had as much as twenty feet of clearer water while doing some planned solo deco dives in it at the bottom.
Is there anything worth seeing in the trench? I've never been past the 90' platform before, and other than the Santa Claus, I've never heard of anything else down there.

Water temps of 80 degrees. The silt on the bottom in the trench is at least five feet deep. We measured it trying to set up a deep nav course a few years back. When the power plant turned mgmt over to WVa DNR everyone except boaters got screwed. Including the local businesses. It's whyI go to Ohio for deep.stuff now. Or Erie. it was a totally unnecessary knee jerk reaction. A little understanding and a few dollars spent on a bulldozer and some sand would have solved it and made everyone happy.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
For those unfamiliar with the situation: local regulations ban swimming, diving, and boating in the same section of the lake. So there aren't supposed to be boats in the scuba diving area, or diving off the boat dock, etc.

However, the only good, easy, & public access point to the water is via the boat docks. And there's no local swimming pool. So there were always kids (and adults) playing on and around the docks, with the parents turning a blind eye. DNR caught them, freaked out a bit, and closed the lake to everyone - including divers (even though we'd been playing by the rules)

Understandably, that annoyed a lot of people. Unless you want to go ice diving, there aren't a lot of good year-round places to dive in the area. And the local dive shops had been using it for their check out dives for years. Plus, as I understand it, there'd never been a complaint or citation issued to a diver. So there were some hard feelings when we got caught in the crossfire.

But its open again, and there's one or more dive shops there . . . pretty much every weekend.

What dive shops would be go to check out if I want to dive mt storm

There are no local dive shops at Storm.

As Jim and others have said, you need a watercraft of some sort -- boat or kayak.

We did a couple of dives last summer. The platforms and attractions had pretty well deteriorated, but the various maps that you find online are reasonably accurate.

Note that it is an altitude dive and plan accordingly.

What dive shops would be go to check out if I want to dive mt storm
I know that Dive World (based out of Washington, PA) and My Dive Shop (Morgantown, WV) dive Mt. Storm, but they're hardly the only ones. I've been there multiple times, and there's always been two or more dive shops there at the same time. If you call around, I can almost guarantee that you'll find someone who'll be at Mt. Storm the right weekend.

One dive shop (who's name I can't remember at the moment) even used to bring their compressor with them, and sell air fills to any interested diver. So while there's no physical dive shop nearby (or at least there wasn't last time I checked), the equipment and personnel are still there.

Edit: Hmm . . . fooling around with Google just now, I found a site for a "Breath Deep Scuba", which claims to have a place less than a mile from the lake (and another at nearby Deep Creek Lake). Never heard of them before, but the listed phone number is 304-693-7282(or for the Deep Creek store, 301-387-8035). Anyone know if they're still there?

That trailer that used to sell fills was Scubaventures out of Virginia. He used to set up in the lot of that little diner. He no longer goes up because of the boat rule. He also was threatened with a fine for selling stuff at the lake. So he only carried a few t bottles for his students after that. The shop that google turned up has been gone since before 2004 when I got certified. You can get fills in Morgantown at Dive World's new 2nd location on Fairmont Avenue. But there are no fills really close to the lake or even in Deep Creek Maryland. All the shops going there now are using some type of boat. Ironic since those using kayaks are tying up to the steps we used to go in by. WVA DNR cost the entire area a lot of business with their policy.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Besides Millbrook and Rawlings, does anyone know of any deep quarries / Lakes in this area that would give us 60 plus depth?

Summersville Lake in Summersville, WV. 300+ feet deep, surface temp = 85+ July-September, season = Memorial Wk. End through Labor Day Weekend, visibility = 20-40+ depending upon rainfall. Sarge's Dive Shop located on lake. Full-service with lake diving charter service. Web: Home Phone: 304-872-1782 Email: mark@sarges.net
Facebook: /scubawv ERDI/SDI/NAUI dive facility

Back
Top Bottom