New Sony or wait for G17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greggyw

New
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a G11, been looking around lately to upgrade and looked like G16 was ok, but only really added better video, then saw everyone raving about sony rx 100

I then noticed there will be a G17 most likely very soon, but low and behold Sony has beaten to the punch....well maybe, depends on if the rumours are true, but you can read about the new rx 100 III maybe loss of hot shoe is a deal breaker ?

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

I saw this too.

Despite their shortcomings, I've been a longtime fan of Canon compacts, mainly because no one else offered what I considered a "better" overall camera. The things that some folks didn't like about the Canons, I could mostly work around.

All that said, I like the specs on the new Sony. They finally put a fast lens on a compact camera! I'm patiently waiting on Interceptor121 to chime in with his opinion.

the RX100III has me second guessing my move to DSLR (but only because of the inability to go back and forth between wide/macro)...my $0.02 is the RX100III is still gonna be the "better" camera (i know that's very subjective) over the G17 unless they make dramatic upgrades. but i will admit to loving the G series as well...

It looks like the Canons will retain their closer-focus, which is really a nit to pick as we're talking about almost meaningless differences at this point.

More importantly, the Canon will most likely have a power advantage, meaning more photos taken per battery changes. Battery power is a significant selling point for me, as I HATE to open or close a housing in anything short of a clean, air-conditioned, well-lighted area with cold beverages nearby. :D
That said, the Sony looks to only be about 20-30 shots short, and I can live with 300+ photos per charge.

A larger sensor, manual metering, and standard wide-angle wet lenses, all go to the Sony.

The Canon will have a longer zoom, but that ends up hurting wide-angle options underwater.

Really, the faster lens may be the straw that broke the camel's back. I hate to spend $700 on a compact, and I shutter to think what the Nauticam housing will cost for it, but I'll be surprised if the 17 can compete once the dust settles.

Nauticam housing is about $950 or a little less as part of a camera/housing kit. I just picked up a Sony RX-100II w/ nauticam housing and I love it! Just got back from Roatan and used it for the first time. Of course, if you knew what I was using before, you'd understand why I was so enamored with it :)

Nauticam housing is about $950 or a little less as part of a camera/housing kit. I just picked up a Sony RX-100II w/ nauticam housing and I love it! Just got back from Roatan and used it for the first time. Of course, if you knew what I was using before, you'd understand why I was so enamored with it :)

I was about to say they won't be $950 when they're introduced, but it seems like I'd be wrong. For some reason I was thinking they were running $1,500 when they first came out, but I'm happy I was mistaken!

24-70mm lens for underwater use is useless. RX100 mark II is the way to go. Just posted a gallery in the sony section mostly wide angle check that out

i would say that is not entirely true...if you're predominantly a WA shooter, i would think this would work fairly well. especially with low light.

Here's the real problem: By the time underwater housings are available for either a G17 or a Sony RX100 III, the G18 and RX100 IV will be close to release and you'll want to wait for THEM to come out, then you'll have to wait several months more for housings, then the G19 and RX100 V will be in the works, then.....

Sure, you'll be able to buy a Canon housing right away, but I personally wouldn't use one unless you're just a casual/shallow diver.

I love my G16 coupled with the Nauticam housing. The only issue I've really had is video focusing when there is almost no contrast; got around that by using manual focus and storing it in one of the user defined settings so I can just switch to it.

Here's the real problem: By the time underwater housings are available for either a G17 or a Sony RX100 III, the G18 and RX100 IV will be close to release and you'll want to wait for THEM to come out, then you'll have to wait several months more for housings, then the G19 and RX100 V will be in the works, then.....

I upgrade every 2-3 generations. I get a decent return on selling my old gear, and I have time to learn the new system without being rushed into the next model.

i would say that is not entirely true...if you're predominantly a WA shooter, i would think this would work fairly well. especially with low light.

The only time I'm zoomed all the way out, is when a wet lens requires it to work properly. I don't see 70mm being a problem for macro, as I always zoom with my fins. If it's compatible with a diopter, I'll probably be happy. I'm not sure how a wider lens would negatively affect a WA wet lens, but I'm open to hearing why you think it would be Interceptor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom