Who trained these idiots??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of curiosity has PADI or Naui revoked C cards for this type of behavior in the past? Has STINAPA ever prohibited divers from returning? I am not an enthusiast about over-policing divers; however the exception being that this was not just a single error or an isolated case of poor judgement. The abhorrent behavior was a recurring theme throughout the videos and photos. To not receive any sort of reprimand leads me to lose faith in the validity of dive associations.

The abhorrent behavior was a recurring theme throughout the videos and photos. To not receive any sort of reprimand leads me to lose faith in the validity of dive associations.
I don't think that is possible. Remember, their role is not that of a regulatory agency, but a training agency. Once you receive the training, you are no longer under their control.
Out of curiosity has PADI or Naui revoked C cards for this type of behavior in the past?
I doubt that would even be possible for recreational divers. What would they do, write them and ask for their cards back? Even if they banned them; how would any operator know? I don't know of any shops that "verify" a diver with the training agency. The C-card is considered proof of dive training, not proof of dive ethics. I don't even think it is possible to verify a recreational diver. Now, if they have a professional certification, then maybe something could be done...but I doubt that.I do hope the Park takes note, and bans them from traveling to the island for life.

My personal feeling is that people can be upset about actions they think are inappropriate. However, since I have never been there I was curious about what laws or regulations they violated.

Bonaire has a relatively healthy, undamaged reef. They would like to keep it that way.

While I don't have any printed documentation, my "orientation" consisted of being told to not touch, kick, annoy, harass, ride, poke or feed anything, and that if I did any of these things, I wouldn't be allowed back. At the very least, these guys need to be banned from the island.

Last edited:
It's my understanding that STINAPA has invited this group to never visit Bonaire again. The names as noted earlier in the thread appear to be correct. They seem to live in the Oklahoma/Texas area (there are always a few bad apples!), but don't hold that against the rest of us. Indications in some of their Vimeo videos show them entering the water not wearing gloves.....but magically they appear under water. This is but one of the violations of the marine park rules, regulations, recommendations, etc. that they seem to revel in.

The dive shop liability release document they signed very clearly states that they agree to follow marine park rules and specifically states they will not harass or harm any marine life. Whether they have violated marine park ordinances (definitely), park "recommendations" (definitely), or just show an incredible amount or poor judgment and unacceptable behavior (undoubtedly!), their videos represent the worst in diver behavior. If it were possible, PADI, NAUI and SSI would be well served to revoke their respective certifications. Maybe they should take up skydiving.....or checkers.....

Crying and wringing of hands.. Oh my! Certification is based on skills and behavior only to the extent that the diver can dive safely. There are many ways to portray their behavior both in and out of the water. Clowns they may be, violators of rules they may be, but they are beyond the jurisdiction of the ones who could bring them to task. There are plenty of people who operate in venues which are somewhat regulated to the extent they must show competence and they still may engage in "bad" behavior. If I had been there, I believe I would have reported them to the dive operator along with a video to prove my complaint. Since none of this was done, they moved on. I'm a believer in leaving it the way I found it in the hope of finding it that way when I go back.

Just got done reading "The Silent World" by Jacques Cousteau. Can you imagine how old Jacques behavior would be judged today on SB?

Not fair. Silent World was 60 years ago and the ocean's resources seemed unlimited.
A lot of changes have occurred and people are not now accepting of behaviors that hurt the ecosystem. If Cousteau were alive today, I am sure he would be incredibly ecologically sensitive.

Certification is all too often based on [-]skills and behavior[/-] $$ paid for "training"

FIFY :gas:

It sounds like the idiots posted the video of themselves in action on the internet, themselves, and they were not filmed by other divers while abusing the critters.
Hopefully STINPATA will do a follow up on the reports, and the local island government can issue a permanent ban on travel to Bonaire for these idiots. Beyond that, just holding a-wipes up for public ridicule is about all that can be done.

Public ridicule among the diving community can sometimes be a powerful deterrent to such behavior.

Last edited:
One thing I learned from my literature studies: the bible is great source of quotes:

For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice
James 3:16

Looks like people have been dealing with idiots for at least 2000 years. :wink:

The problem with selfish idiots is that behaviours never really change without significant intrinsic motivation, which in the worst cases may not even come at the threat of mortal violence. If Darwin is right, we could rid the world of idiots in 100 years by simply not mating with them.

So my question isn't why this guy does what he does. My question is what his mother's malfunction is.

R..

Back
Top Bottom