Nudibranch Lovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had no idea the Rainbow Nudibranch, Dendronotus iris swims like a Spanish Dancer.

Here is one from Catalina Island for Dr Bill.

Rainbow Nudibranch 3 crop.jpg

Last edited:
Encountered a swimming Dendronotis Iris this morning:

A Facebook friend asks why do they swim? Thought I'd read it was to avoid predators...what say you?

Their main predator is the Sunstar. Before the latest wasting disease there were plenty of them around. Also, I've seen them fly when divers' fins kick up the bottom.

I found one of those off Redondo Beach once. I figured I would get a better photo once I got my macro set up squared away. I haven't seen one since. :(
RedondoBarge31.jpg

RedondoBarge30.jpg

NC diving is known for big stuff, not nudis. So each time I dive I make a point of looking for them. I like quests. I have found a few but usually the same ones. Today I picked up a fourth type. It was at 60 ft on the Hyde. It was tiny. About a half inch. I apologize for the bad picture but my flash finally died thanks to corrosion from an earlier year flood.

Anybody know what it is?

nudihyde1.jpg

Looks like a flabellina

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom