How can I remain stable with this BCD??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

francousteau

Contributor
Reaction score
I've hit 360°in my diving, going from single OC to tech to rebreather & now back to single OC (although for pro purposes only). Presently a DMT and doing the demo skills, I bought a SP Litehawk rather than a jacket style BCD. The Litehawk is a back inflate with bungees. For most skills I don't have an issue with this BCD. But for surface skills that require remaining still, in one spot, while demo'ing (surface buoyancy check; remove/replace scuba unit), I'm finding it difficult to remain solid in one spot w/o moving my hands/feet, which makes me move all over the pool. I only add a bit of air in the BC at a time (too much & I face plant...too little & I'm not buoyant enough). I've tried moving the cylinder up/down...moving weights from integrated to weight belt...moving weight to different positions on the weight belt...adding a weight pouch to the back of the cylinder (this is a tough one because the cam buckle is centered on the cylinder and so the weight pouch is not centered). I've watched the instructor, with a different brand BI remain solid, so I know it can be done. BTW...I've dived a BP/wing as soon as I was finished OW (11yrs ago) and have had no issues like with this BI. Anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking of removing the bungees to see if that makes a difference. Other than that...I'm unsure.

Can't you use a BP and single wing?

Try just enough air so that you're not drowning and lean back.

Why do you feel the need to move? To remain vertical?

(e)B(ay)CD

I have the same one for pool. I lean back a bit, dont overinflate it. I also dont bother with the chest strap and keep the shoulder straps and waist snug. I just wear a 4 pound belt with a 3 mm full. The bladder on these things is way too big. I Use it because it was the simplest harness in a shop brand bcd for pool only.

Can't you use a BP and single wing?

Try just enough air so that you're not drowning and lean back.

Why do you feel the need to move? To remain vertical?
I was trying this for 1/2hr yesterday & no joy. I'm trying to get it so part of my neck is out of the water, not just my chin. I don't know why I'm moving exactly, except that I'm trying to remain afloat, I guess??? Nobody said I couldn't use bp/w, but I'm trying to use what the students will use...with a bit of a compromise...that's where the BI comes in.

(e)B(ay)CD
LOL...

I have the same one for pool. I lean back a bit, dont overinflate it. I also dont bother with the chest strap and keep the shoulder straps and waist snug. I just wear a 4 pound belt with a 3 mm full. The bladder on these things is way too big. I Use it because it was the simplest harness in a shop brand bcd for pool only.
Ok...I'll try the chest strap unclipped. I've tried leaning back like I'm in a recliner and just add a bit of air at a time, then I try to lean forward a bit. I just feel unbalanced in this thing, so I think that's why I'm sculling with feet/hands. Good observation on the bladder being too big. That's prob why they added the bungees. In the pool (salt), I'm wearing only swimsuit and 6#'s. I'm prob overweighted a bit, but when demonstrating on the bottom & exaggerating for quality, I want to be a bit heavy. Maybe when I'll try removing some weight when doing surface skills?

It does sound like you are a bit over-weighted (as you mentioned). I would start by at least double checking weighting. Personally, I don't feel the need to be over-weighted to demo skills. I demo the skills neutrally buoyant and off the bottom, even if the students aren't able to do that yet.

I would move some weight back onto the tank cam bands, and just keep very little in the integrated pockets for being able to realistically demo the weight removal skill. You could also use two pockets so that you can distribute evenly.

If using a weight belt, I would move the weight to the back as much as possible.

If using a drysuit, I would just close the exhaust valve and get some gas in my arms.

I had the same problem with a back inflate and when I became a DM and other credentials I switched to a jacket style bcd. For teaching I prefer the SeaQuest Pro. So long as you have the back inflate, the best remedy is to continue to experiment with the weight placement. It weill not totally resolve the issue, but can help.
DivemasterDennis

And remember that leg position underwater also influences your overall position and stability.

What Nimoh said. You should not be demoing skills on the bottom anyway. Neutral in midwater is the way to show them. Do this and the students think that's the way it's done and they do it. Doesn't take long at all.
BTW from my point of view as an instructor your BPW is similar to what the students are using. A bag with a way to add and dump air that you wear. That's as similar as it needs to be. Any differences are noted in the ten minute surface briefing and under water are no longer an issue.

What Nimoh said. You should not be demoing skills on the bottom anyway. Neutral in midwater is the way to show them. Do this and the students think that's the way it's done and they do it. Doesn't take long at all.
BTW from my point of view as an instructor your BPW is similar to what the students are using. A bag with a way to add and dump air that you wear. That's as similar as it needs to be. Any differences are noted in the ten minute surface briefing and under water are no longer an issue.
Hmm...I'm curious as to how to teach some PADI "required" skills while being "neutral in midwater? You're an instructor....how are you teaching "fin pivot"...or...weight belt/integrated weight removal...scuba unit removal/replacement to new students. I'm open to ideas, so can you post a video of you teaching your students these skills while being "neutral in midwater"? Videos speak volumes....right? As far as BP/W....as an instructor, you're pretty much able to teach in the gear you want. As a DMT, I'm just listening to the IDC IT, but I'll check to be sure that I "cannot" demo in a bp/w. Actually, I'd rather teach while in my rebreather...after all...as you said...it has "a bag with a way to add and dump air that you wear". LOL Now that's a def no because that's the first thing the IDC IT said to me when I expressed interest in DM.

Anyways...I'm thinking of adding a 2nd cam band for just some weight. I'll experiment with placement and see how that goes. I think I'm just going to have to work this out on my own, as everybody's body and weight distribution is different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom