Flash sync problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeeCat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm using Nikon D800 in Nauticam housing, 2x YS-D1 strobes with optical sync. On some images, about 20%, I have strongly underexposed bottom part of the frame - about 15-20% of the vertical size. The same effect randomly appears at different shutter speeds (1/200 to 1/320), with normal and rear-curtain sync. I don't see any regularity in the event and I can't reproduce it on land photos with built-in flash.

I'll be very much appreciated for any ideas.

This is quite strange, unless you are shooting a pre-flash. What mode is the camera in and what mode is the strobe in? Certainly 1/320 is too fast, that sync is only possible I think with Nikon Speedlight, but 1/200 should be fine.

Bill

I'm using Nikon D800 in Nauticam housing, 2x YS-D1 strobes with optical sync. On some images, about 20%, I have strongly underexposed bottom part of the frame - about 15-20% of the vertical size. The same effect randomly appears at different shutter speeds (1/200 to 1/320), with normal and rear-curtain sync. I don't see any regularity in the event and I can't reproduce it on land photos with built-in flash.

I'll be very much appreciated for any ideas.

Did you check (and slow down) the Flash Sync Speed? I never heard if this was solved from the message you posted in the Nikon forum.

Jim

Did you check (and slow down) the Flash Sync Speed? I never heard if this was solved from the message you posted in the Nikon forum.

Jim
I didn't do UW photo since my last trip and I can't provide the results. I'll try it on the 1st possible occasion. Thanks for response.

---------- Post added May 23rd, 2014 at 02:10 PM ----------

This is quite strange, unless you are shooting a pre-flash. What mode is the camera in and what mode is the strobe in? Certainly 1/320 is too fast, that sync is only possible I think with Nikon Speedlight, but 1/200 should be fine.

Bill
I guess I'm using pre-flash: the camera flash and external flashes are in TTL mode. And, if I'm not mistaken, 1/320 is supported with camera flash as well. The camera flash does not support "high speed sync" - faster 1/320. The mode supported with Speedlight only (and not with all models :( )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom