Transpac and reg position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krazyklaws

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I have a transpak harness and travel wing with a Titan reg.

Even with the top cam band at the very top of the cylinder, I still can't lift my head up without banging it on the first stage. I've tried it with a Scubapro reg too, but them it's just the hoses that hit my head rather than the first stage.

I'm not convinced that the backplate isn't too long, but my reg already squishes into the wing, so I'm not sure as smaller one would be any different.

It's fine with twins, just single tank that causes me the issue.

Am I doing something daft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Can you send a picture of the setup?
My first thought is that you are over tightening the shoulder straps which will lift the wing and cylinder upward. Loosen them off and allow the wing and cylinder to sit lower on your back.

I wish I'd taken a pic before I dismantled my kit this morning, it's the last day of my dive trip.

I do use a crotch strap, and keep it as snug as possible, even to the point that it pulls the waist band down a little.

I can loosen the shoulder straps off, but then everything just flaps about. I have the waist strap snug, and then just tighten the shoulders to hold the backplate into my back.

I do have quite a short body! :). Could that be the problem?

I'm quite curvy, so having the waist strap on my hips rather than my waist feels very awkward.

do you use an STA? STA tent to move tank higher.

I used to have this head banging 1st stage issue with dive rite regular size back plate. Not sure if this applies to you, my issue was the plate is too long and too flat. So I did a few things to minimize it: 1)small size plate, 2)a proper design STA which don't move tank higher. This is hard to find. STA also helps to move tank further from my back. 3)plate with deeper bands, this also help move tank further away from my back.

I wish I'd taken a pic before I dismantled my kit this morning, it's the last day of my dive trip.

I do use a crotch strap, and keep it as snug as possible, even to the point that it pulls the waist band down a little.

I can loosen the shoulder straps off, but then everything just flaps about. I have the waist strap snug, and then just tighten the shoulders to hold the backplate into my back.

I do have quite a short body! :). Could that be the problem?

I'm quite curvy, so having the waist strap on my hips rather than my waist feels very awkward.

The waist strap in theory should be around your belly button but most put it a little lower. if it can go to your hips I would think it may be to large of harness.
You can check the XT harness size chart http://www.diverite.com/downloads/diverite_259.pdf If you have a previous harness the sizing is different.

Due you adjust the chest strap first? here are the recommended steps to putting it on.
Proper fitting of the TransPac
1. Get into the harness
2. Adjust the chest strap so the shoulder straps come straight down over the shoulder.
3. Fasten the waist belt, make sure it is snug
4. Pull slack out of the shoulder/plate adjustments but not too tight

Since the design is similar to backpacking, the lower you sit when putting the harness on and pull slack out of the shoulder straps the higher the tank will ride. Don’t try to pull all the slack out of the adjustment

I don't have an STA, not needed with the transpak.

UnderH20man - I used the fitting video when I first bought it and always fit the chest strap first.

Looking at the female fitting video, my plate is the same height as the model. However I noticed that on the male fitting guide it finished much lower.

I have suspected that the plate is too long, but if it were shorter wouldn't the wing be in the same place?

Do you have the correct size based on the chart?

The wing has 3 positions to choose from on the harness. Just move it up or down by selecting a different grommet hole on the harness for securing.
You may find that adjusting the wing position on the harness will help address the positioning issue of the tank as well.

I'll go with underH2oman's guess that the setup is riding high. This video by DiveRite (http://youtu.be/5hTtxV21qiU) shows a donning way that allows the tank to sit lower in the back. Again, posting a pic would certainly help.

I have done 100's of dives on a transpac harness and almost never experienced this issue.
Only once did it occur and that was from converting DIN to yoke for vacation rental tank.
I used 2 cambands and the top one placed just below the rounded shoulder of most tanks.

That said, I have seen countless people's 1st stages mounted as what I would consider as upside down.
Does your regulator connect to the valve and turn back down toward the tank,
or does it turn up extending beyond your tank valve?
Depending on your reg, there is about 5" difference between the two.

I have always had mine downward because I didn't want to bump
into something and bend or break regulator parts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom