Cannot equalize left ear AFTER resurfacing; 12 hours later, still no dice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matthew Jones

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have 11 dives and did two dives last night towards my advanced PADI cert (completed Basic). I'm certainly not an expert diver but I have NEVER had an issue with any of my ears. I didn't have a single issue until after the dive.

I know it is probably a reverse block, and the dive master asked if I was sick, or took decongestants, etc....I was not sick, haven't taken decongestants, etc. I am/was feeling perfectly fine. I'm not taking drugs that would do this to me. I did not descend too quickly, and went hand, hand, equalize, hand, hand, equalize on the rope and so on. Total depth was about 42ft. Made a safety stop (just practice not needed) at 15ft for 3min on the ascent.

I'm scheduled for my last two dives of the advanced cert tomorrow (deep and navigation), and wondering if it's not better, will descending and re-equalizing actually HELP to clear the block as opposed to hurting...

Hi there.

I have a reverse block after diving last night. I got back to the boat around 9pm from the water. This was my 2nd and 3rd dive with two remaining for my advanced PADI cert.

I equalized fully going down and coming up (max depth about 42ft). I have never had issues before. I was not congested, had no sickness, did not use any medicine before diving like Sudafed or anything like that. Yet I still seem to have gotten a reverse block.

I am scheduled for the last two dives of advanced cert (deep and navi) tomorrow, in about 24 hours...making it about 36 or so hours after the reverse block.

Is there anything I can do between now and then to fix this? I tried the alcohol/vinegar mix in my ear that the dive master gave me, and that didn't work. Tried that twice. Tried holding my nose and sucking, that didn't work either.

Not sure what else to do...

Don't push your ears. If it's not painful or excessively full, just sit on it for a day and see if it works itself out. Give DAN a call as well as they'll have a much more educated medical opinion.
+1-919-684-2948

Come your next dive, talk with your instructor and ask his opinion. He may share mine and let you descend down an anchor line and see if the block clears itself when you descend to deeper pressure.

If it does, I would advise ascending to the surface and seeing if you can fully equalize without having another block. If you can, and you're not congested or feel full in the ears, then you can continue your dive. If not, then listen to your instructors advice and call the dive if your ears worsen more.

At what depth did the block start?

The thing is, I noticed NO block until I got to the surface. You know how the feeling is when you have water in your ears and shake it out? That's what I felt, at first. I assumed when I was back on the boat that I had just gotten some water in my ears. Tried to shake it out, no dice.

How many ascents and descents per dive? I get reverse blocks with lots of ups/down (teaching ascents, cesa etc...) i dont have any issues with a normal profile.

If you are still blocked i would suggest you seek medical attention and not dive until your good to go.

Beyond that while assisting classes i find that if I'm congested i can take Claritin D 8hr to reduce the swelling of my sinuses and wear a hood to keep my head warm and maintain proper blood flow to my head. These 2 things help reduce issues with blocks. Since assisting requires me to chase students up and down all day more thank i would ever consider to suitable for a fun day of diving.

Hope you get well and dive safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, it could be just water in your ears. Go see a doctor. Ultimately you are in control, but if I were your instructor I would want you to hold off until it felt right. I mean really right.

It may also be wax that is trapping water or air or pushing on you ear drum. Get it checked out by a Dr before you dive.

Sometimes I get a slight pressure feeling after a dive where I ascend/descend a lot. It mostly due to my ear drums getting a workout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I understand. What symptoms are you having that you are calling a reverse block?

Yes-- does it hurt? much? I have yet to have a reverse block, but I know it's supposed to hurt--when ascending, not just when you reach the surface. I would guess that recent posts are correct that it is something else. Am not advising you to, but have you used ear drops? I sometimes get water in one ear that won't come out and that always works. Are you prone to "Swimmer's Ear" (Otitus Externas)? This could get worse and hurt a lot. I would just wait and see and if it's still not right see a Dr.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom