Purge mask, little plastic spur pokes nose!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BMW335i

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Inside of my purge mask, there is this little plastic spur that sticks up that looks to be a part of the purging mechanism, however it pokes my nose and actually is very bothersome! Can i trim this piece down without affecting its purpose? I have troubles clearing my non purge mask so i picked this up and it works great, just hurts.. thnx

Inside of my purge mask, there is this little plastic spur that sticks up that looks to be a part of the purging mechanism, however it pokes my nose and actually is very bothersome! Can i trim this piece down without affecting its purpose? I have troubles clearing my non purge mask so i picked this up and it works great, just hurts.. thnx

Sorry to sound like an ass, but you've introduced a point of failure because you haven't mastered a very simple skill.

Spend some time in the pool, learn how to clear your mask. You'll get the hang of it

If it is the thin silicon stem part of the check valve- it is held in by the thick part through a small hole in the plastic, the thin part makes it easier to insert and pull through. you can cut that off as long as you leave the thick part that holds it in. If it ever gets pulled out it may be hard to re-install but a new one is inexpensive.

Sorry to sound like an ass, but you've introduced a point of failure because you haven't mastered a very simple skill.

Spend some time in the pool, learn how to clear your mask. You'll get the hang of it

Ya don't sound like an ass, but if you would of asked why I use it first I could of told you it's because I have alternate nasal cycles. It's actually pretty common, but for diving purposes is kind of a p.i.t.a. because when I'd go to clear my regular non purge mask, I don't get quite enough air flow since I'm only exhaling through one nostril at a time. But with a purged mask, it seems to work better for me because I can just continually breathe out of my nose while diving and everything works fine.

If it is the thin silicon stem part of the check valve- it is held in by the thick part through a small hole in the plastic, the thin part makes it easier to insert and pull through. you can cut that off as long as you leave the thick part that holds it in. If it ever gets pulled out it may be hard to re-install but a new one is inexpensive.

Yes that's exactly what I'm referring to..! And I seen what you're talking about and that's about how far I'd like to trim it down to, but just wasn't sure if that was like some extra piece left in post-manufacture or what. Also, say later on I do have an issue and need to replace it, is that something I can buy as a replacement piece?

Thanks a lot!

Ya don't sound like an ass, but if you would of asked why I use it first I could of told you it's because I have alternate nasal cycles.

Horse excrement ! First off the symptoms you describe have been attributed to about 80% of the population. In any situation, the same volume of air is coming out of one nostril rather than two. Its that expelled air that displaces the water

I'm certain you're a special case and by your profile, you certainly don't need additional instruction.

Horse excrement ! First off the symptoms you describe have been attributed to about 80% of the population. In any situation, the same volume of air is coming out of one nostril rather than two. Its that expelled air that displaces the water

I'm certain you're a special case and by your profile, you certainly don't need additional instruction.

I said it was common, not that I was a special case. And I've been an FHP Officer for 9 years and having done many practice runs with the search and rescue team I know my body and what it's capable of doing or not. The actual issue with alternate nasal cycles, is that in some cases it's hard to block the nostril off from inhaling so water gets sucked up between exhalation cycles. I'm sure many people just use the purge because they feel it's easier to clear the mask, but for me it's a must, and IMO is probably why it was created in the first place. I know some dive shops who swear by it and I know others who are totally against it, all I know is that for me it works and my thread wasn't created asking which one to use it was created asking how to make mine more comfortable. But I do appreciate your feedback =)

I admit that you need to know how to how to clear your mask without a purge, but the currently popular “anti-purge valve wrath” is way over the top. If mushroom valves were that problematic and unreliable we wouldn’t use them in regulators.

I use a higher volume mask for Scuba with a purge because it is comfortable and is has value for macro photographers. You can clear the mask hands-free and without changing position most of the time with a purge, which is less likely to scare away that little critter that you have been patiently waiting to get in just the right pose... which is about the only time my mask leaks.

I've often recommended purge masks to students with various nasal problems. As UnderH2OMan suggested, just don't trim it flush with the mask. The bulge has to remain for it to stay in place.

I've dove a purge mask for years with no problems and in fact, I prefer them. Calling it an extra point of failure is ludicrous. It's not like he can die from it. In fact, you rely on one of these purges for every breath you take under water. If/when they do fail, it's a minor inconvenience and usually a quick swish back and forth clears and resets the valve. I have a thirty year old mask where the purge works fine, but the mask skirt has failed. I sure loved that mask. :(

BMW335i, let me know when you're coming to dive here in Key Largo. I'll see if I can jump on the boat with you.

Loose the purge valve mask and get yourself a low volume technical mask. You should be able to clear your mask with less than a full breath of air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom