GUE Interested or Curious?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cyprian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Howdy folks! We just hosted a successful GUE Fundamentals class in the DFW area. We had 1 tech pass, 2 rec passes which quickly turned into tech passes only a month later.....and are currently looking for more like minded divers! The cold waters fall upon us, but we are working on scheduling a Primer and Fundies class next Spring and would love to hear from anyone interested or even curious about our diving system. You don't have to be in our configuration or even close to it to come out and dive with us. We will dive with anyone and will be happy to explain why we do what we do and dive how we dive. :) If you disagree or do not like our system, no harm, no foul....you will not be looked down upon. That's silly. There are plenty of waters out there for every diver.

Come out and play! We dive in the warm pool waters so kindly offered by Aqua Trek Scuba....and will be at Lake Murray, OK.....CSSP.....and Balmorhea (75-100' vis, 74-76 degrees year 'round) at various times throughout the winter.

Again, if you are interested or simply curious....come on out! We are pretty friendly folk who love to dive and love to laugh! We typically have food and hot coffee around during the winter.

Take care and safe dives!

Hi, I would be interested in a GUE Fundamentals course in late 2014 or spring 2015. Is there one planned already for spring 2014. Also I might be interested to dive Lake Murray. I live in Wichita Falls, Tx.
Thank you!

Hi, I would be interested in a GUE Fundamentals course in late 2014 or spring 2015. Is there one planned already for spring 2014. Also I might be interested to dive Lake Murray. I live in Wichita Falls, Tx.
Thank you!

First, welcome to Scubaboard, Typhoon Diver! :)

We currently have 4 individuals interested in GUE Fundamentals this year, but we have not worked out any specific dates.

I'm not one to put the cart before the horse, so to speak, but I can tell you that we might have a new GUE instructor (who currently resides in FL) who is a native of Oklahoma. I won't put words in his mouth, but if he passes his IE, I believe is is going to try to teach a few classes in TX/OK. The difference being, with roots and friends in the area, his travel expenses should be much lower. Again, this is just me talking as I haven't really taken time to go over the details with him.

That said, regardless, we are working on 1 or 2 Fundamentals classes in the area this year.

Also, you are welcome to come out and dive with us anytime. We will go over the gear, demo the skills and answer any questions that we can.

Take care and safe diving!

First, welcome to Scubaboard, Typhoon Diver! :)

We currently have 4 individuals interested in GUE Fundamentals this year, but we have not worked out any specific dates.

I'm not one to put the cart before the horse, so to speak, but I can tell you that we might have a new GUE instructor (who currently resides in FL) who is a native of Oklahoma. I won't put words in his mouth, but if he passes his IE, I believe is is going to try to teach a few classes in TX/OK. The difference being, with roots and friends in the area, his travel expenses should be much lower. Again, this is just me talking as I haven't really taken time to go over the details with him.

That said, regardless, we are working on 1 or 2 Fundamentals classes in the area this year.

Also, you are welcome to come out and dive with us anytime. We will go over the gear, demo the skills and answer any questions that we can.

Take care and safe diving!

Cyprian that's great news!
And thanks for the offer of going over skills, drills, etc...
Where do you fill your tanks normally when you go to Lake Murray? Do you all have your own set of doubles? And is everybody diving a dry suit?
Or do you switch to wetsuit in the summer? We just moved to Texas from Germany so most of my diving was done in cold lakes, ~45 degrees F. That's why I have a drysuit but was wondering how 100F feel in the drysuit once the Texas summer comes along...
Thanks so much for the quick feedback!

Cyprian that's great news!
And thanks for the offer of going over skills, drills, etc...
Where do you fill your tanks normally when you go to Lake Murray? Do you all have your own set of doubles? And is everybody diving a dry suit?
Or do you switch to wetsuit in the summer? We just moved to Texas from Germany so most of my diving was done in cold lakes, ~45 degrees F. That's why I have a drysuit but was wondering how 100F feel in the drysuit once the Texas summer comes along...
Thanks so much for the quick feedback!

We typically get fills at our local shops (DFW area and Oklahoma City for the folks up North); however, there is a place that offers fills near the Marina at Lake Murray.

Everyone in the current group dives doubles, except for my kid; however, we will dive singles and welcome any diver that does. :)

And, everyone predominantly dives dry....not saying that we won't switch to wet suits at any given time. As for me, I have to admit that I am pretty much a dry suit snob, lol. And diving around here dry during the summer is an interesting experience. Without writing a novel, we basically suit up...run to the water and jump in to cool...then head back and don our gear and go in for the dives. During the summer, all of the lakes/scuba parks have thermoclines, and while you may see surface water temps as hot as 86...you will encounter much cooler temps under the second thermocline. Now there are plenty of good divers and all around great folk in these parts that have no problem diving below those thermoclines in the summer in a wetsuit. Me? I don't really care for them...lol. Anyway, to restate the answer your question.....doubles and dry suits are typically the norm in the group, but I don't want that to dissuade anyone from coming out to dive with us! Some of the people interested in Fundies this year are approaching from the single tank diving side only with no interest in tech level or doubles at this time. We have a group prepping for Cave 2 and three groups prepping for Cave 1. :)

Typhoon, I'll send you a PM in a few.

Anyone else? Please feel free to join the thread or send me a PM.

Safe diving to all and stay warm out there folks! It's cold for Texas.

Hi all,

I would be interested in a GUE Fundamentals course in Texas. Are there any plans as of yet?

Many thanks,
Gus

I would also be interested in a GUE Fundamentals course in Texas. Please keep us posted.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hey folks, I'm currently on vacation in Galveston (I know, poor me...lol) but I'll start working on getting a class together. We have 8 interested parties. Now it's just a matter of getting at least 3 signed up for a class where all schedules will mesh. :)

It is also typically easy to schedule a primer class or doubles class for those interested once we have the Fundamentals class in place.

Typhoon Diver, when this thread popped back up I realized that I dropped the ball and never sent you a PM. My bad, I'll correct that now.

Gwelter and Tony387, please send me a PM with your email if you don't mind. I respond more quickly to email than here. Thanks!

If you're in Galveston, make sure to have a quick dive at Offats Bayou. It's a great spot to test out your no vis skills. Last time I dove it we had about 3in of vis. Was about enough to see the line when you were right on top of it and enough to run into the pylons.

If you're in Galveston, make sure to have a quick dive at Offats Bayou. It's a great spot to test out your no vis skills. Last time I dove it we had about 3in of vis. Was about enough to see the line when you were right on top of it and enough to run into the pylons.

LOL...no thanks! I didn't come to Galveston to dive.....although I actually dove(dived) Mammoth Lake with Tripntx today. Good times!

---------- Post added May 27th, 2014 at 12:14 AM ----------

Thanks to those who have PM'd me their email. I will be in touch soon!

Back
Top Bottom