Empty boat breaks adrift stranding divers - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Three questions:

1. Do you think the USCG will require operational DSC one day on inspected vessels or are they happy with re-broadcasting the message to anyone around?

2. How do you handle guests with the Lifeline onboard? Just tell them the frequency to use, make test calls, try not to get involved? :wink:

3. What is the proper protocol for a diver to call a boat using a lifeline? It's not like we have a boat name.

In Australia, all VHF operators must be licenced. If you have a Lifeline it is registered to you, and you must have a name. Mine is "Seal Diver 1". If Australia rescue get notified, then they have all your details. I have both Lifeline and PLB.

Three questions:

1. Do you think the USCG will require operational DSC one day on inspected vessels or are they happy with re-broadcasting the message to anyone around?

2. How do you handle guests with the Lifeline onboard? Just tell them the frequency to use, make test calls, try not to get involved? :wink:

3. What is the proper protocol for a diver to call a boat using a lifeline? It's not like we have a boat name.

1. No. The Coast Guard is loath to make requirements above and beyond IMO because of the push back they are getting. If they require DSC, they will have to require training to use it. With radar ARPA and charting ECDIS, if you have it, you must have training unless you are under 300 gross. If you are required to have DSC, you will have to attend GMDSS, which is a 10 day $2500 course. Imagine the small Passenger Vessel operators screaming about that?

2. When guests bring a lifeline, they typically ask me how to use it. I personally have no idea, as I am not a believer. I know how to use PLB's, and hand them out to those who ask. I will set my second radio to whatever channel a customer requests.

3. I think first you would have to have the boat have their radio on, manned, and the volume turned up. That's a stretch for a lot of recreational boaters, at least the ones in the keys. Besides that, I'd be calling for anyone who can hear me.

Not all dives are popular with tourist divers, you are welcome to sit on my unmanned boat, as I look for things no-one has seen,in places no-one has been. Sometimes in cold dark water with low vis. The unmanned boat sometimes sits in calm water, on Lakes that are not easily accessible.
This was meant as I reply to "Dandy Don" but keeps turning up here...... where it makes no sense.
---------- Post added May 26th, 2014 at 05:39 AM ----------

Last edited:
I concur, but unfortunately owning a boat in the US doesn’t require any knowledge of seamanship. I don’t know the details in this case but I can see how someone might invite friends out on their new boat for diving who has never witnessed an anchor slipping or thought much about safe boat handling.

I have seen a couple of new boat owners who couldn’t operate their radio, tie a bowline, or knew they had seacocks — let alone find them if a hose blew. The boat was setup enough like their car that they felt fine taking it 10 miles offshore on their first day out.

On a number of occasions, when out with recreational boaters, I have warned the skipper that I am just fine with mutiny when my a** is in danger. It usually happens on lakes or in the bay as most of the folks who go offshore out here have an understanding of how dangerous it can be and are prepared. I give the speech when they ask why I am going over their boat, asking a lot of questions, and they don't have any answers.

I have a box of backup safety gear and ground tackle I carry in the truck on my first invite out, in case they haven't thought ahead. It probably wouldn't surprise you how many times it was necessary.

When there is a problem on a boat, you can't just get out and walk home, unless you are still tied to the dock.

Bob
------------------------------------------
On my first cruise in the Navy, when we were quite a ways out to sea, I asked the Boatswains Mate "where is the closest land". He replied "straight down".

On a number of occasions, when out with recreational boaters, I have warned the skipper that I am just fine with mutiny when my a** is in danger...

I’ll have to remember that one. I imagine the reaction you get tells you a lot about how much you have to worry.

BTW, I also like your signature quote.

On a number of occasions, when out with recreational boaters, I have warned the skipper that I am just fine with mutiny when my a** is in danger...

Bob
------------------------------------------
On my first cruise in the Navy, when we were quite a ways out to sea, I asked the Boatswains Mate "where is the closest land". He replied "straight down".

My response would be - please don't wait that long. If there's an issue I'd like to know sooner rather than later. Don't have a problem with someone questioning my competency as skipper either - but do feel I know enough to take advise in context, listening or not depending on how much sense the person makes.

OTOH - on the lakes I've boated on, the bottom is still closest @ 3-100' down - but the shore is always within swimming distance. As ex competitive swimmer, 10 miles without current & with navigation aid might be doable -- but won't count on being able to go more than 1 mile in clear weather and far less in some circumstances. OTOOH - on large parts of our local lakes I won't get 10' from a boat since the biggest hazard is other traffic... much like playing on a freeway!

Also note that marine VHF radios are illegal to use on land so it’s not a backup for backpacking.

Wouldn't the consequence of illegally using the radio, if you have one, still be better than dying?

Wouldn't the consequence of illegally using the radio, if you have one, still be better than dying?

Of course it is. The bigger issue for backpacking is nobody is going to be monitoring these frequencies in the Smoky or the Sierra Nevada mountains. You have to remember that VHF is “line of sight” so the signal could be blocked by hills even a few miles inland from the coast.

Last edited:
Of course it is. The bigger issue for backpacking is nobody is going to be monitoring these frequencies in the Smoky or the Sierra Nevada mountains. You have to remember that VHF is “line of sight” so the signal could be blocked by hills even a few miles inland from the coast.
I carried my PLB in my backpack all last week, touring Devils Valley, Yosemite, and several other parks between. Cell service was spotty at best, even driving between towns in that area. But then I carry it in my car any time I leave the house.

Back
Top Bottom