Help with ideas for new SCUBA area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
I am the lead diver for the Greenbo Lake SCUBA Refuge in NE Kentucky. I am trying to get some ideas for things to place in the lake for both divers and to draw fish. The middle of the lake is empty, thus no fish in that area, and I am starting to place platforms and a buoyancy obstacle course in that area. I need some Ideas for other items to put in. The catch is... every item has to be environmentaly safe, and has to be approved by Fish and Wildlife and state Parks. It's a pretty safe bet that they won't let us sink andy boats or cars etc. I have a few ideas, that I am keeping to myself at the moment, to try and make a first of it's kind in the area, but I am running out of ideas. Concrete, PVC, and treated lumber are definitely approved.

Please help with some ideas. Nothing is too outrageous, I just need ideas.

The don't ask idea would be a guarantee to get the are closed down.

I would suggest to get a couple of concrete tubes of (at least) 5 feet diameter and 10 to 15 feet length to allow divers to go through. A good improvement could be to add a light inside.
Some other concrete structures could be also of some interest, like a religious figure. The attached figure is the Christ of the Abyss in Italy.

Another one could be a wooden yacht with all the mechanical parts removed. It's always nice to dive in a wreck.

Finally, a mid-water (20 ft) submerged platform for check-outs. The submerged platform hanging from floats and anchored to the bottom. This will allow students to knee in the platform without removing silt of the bottom, to make the drills.

Attachments

• cristo del abismo.jpg
    cristo del abismo.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 120
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom