Fun at Pennyroyal Blue Springs Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey, not every trip can be Bonaire.

Got in a couple of dives at the quarry (Pennyroyal Blue Springs Resort) this summer, one yesterday (Saturday). My prior dive was Thursday 9 days earlier. Both were solo dives, dropping down deep for the 1'rst portion, then moseying around the shallower region looking at the sunken attractions.

IMG_2519_zps5e44d33a.jpg

Diving on a Thursday during the week 6-13-13 - few people there, plenty of setup tables free, the 'Dive Monkey' grill was not open (only weekends and holidays).

Diving on a Saturday 6-22-13 - Lots of people there. Some from Louisville, St. Louis and I believe Lexington. And more local sites, like the Nashville area. I asked someone at the shop and she figured over 150 people had come through that day. Lots of students doing their cert. dives, I believe. All the tables were packed. The bottom 2 parking levels looked pretty full up, and I parked on the 3'rd.

That said, yesterday's dive was good. Got hot gearing up in a 5 mm wetsuit with hood and gloves, but dropped on down to 101 feet and water around 44 degrees, so I cooled off pretty quickly. Took a few photos to share.

It's not a coral reef, but it's got its own charm.

IMG_2423_zps2df194c1.jpg

I'm used to bass being skittish, but these guys were chilling.

IMG_2466_zps32aadf2b.jpg

IMG_2468_zpsb2b04bb2.jpg

Big'un inside.

IMG_2474_zpse835deed.jpg

I don't want to carry a slate and stop to write notes, but sometimes I'd like to record at what depth I round something. Tried photographing my dive computer with an item in the background to test the idea; did okay!

IMG_2505_zps2e7b54c7.jpg

Photos taken with a Canon G10, Canon UW housing, only modified by reducing resolution via Adobe Photoshop Elements 8.

Anybody else been doing some local diving in the KY area? Got pics to post?

Richard.

Last edited:
OK, you have my interest peaked. How is the viz in September? We always have a dive/camp weekend and are looking for a new location this year.

Average vis in the shallow areas is about 20- 30 ft, but I have also seen 50+ ft. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. Depends on recent rainfall, algae blooms & how much OW classes stir it up. Down deep the vis is closer to 40- 50 ft vis on a regular basis. Right now overall vis is 10- 20 ft from top to bottom. I just did 3 days of rebreather diving over the holiday weekend & 2 days of conducting OW check- out dives.

Thanks Tammy; it's a 4 hour drive for us and is an unknown quantity, so we'll see. After all, for us, Mermet is only an hour longer, and is a known quantity.

How is the camping at Pennyroyal?

Thanks Tammy; it's a 4 hour drive for us and is an unknown quantity, so we'll see. After all, for us, Mermet is only an hour longer, and is a known quantity.

How is the camping at Pennyroyal?

Basically primative. They do have flush toilets, sink & a (cold) shower (quarry water). There is no potable water or campsite electical. For me, not a big deal. I usually use rechargable lanterns & a rechargable pump for my air mattress. I typically sleep in the back of my truck (as close to the bathrooms as possible, as I have to get up a couple times duing the night.

If/ when you decide to come down. if I am not working the "real job" or teaching, I would be most honored to give you a tour.

Last edited:
This weekend, it looks as if vis is beginning to improve. Towards the bottom of the shallow parts, it is still a bit murky, but there is a definite layering of clearer water at about the thermocline (17ft). Water is starting to warm nicely. 75 degrees from surface to17 ft, 65 degrees to 35 ft & cold below that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom