Anyone ever swam with sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving with whalesharks, hammerheads, thresher shark, grey reef sharks, whitetip reef sharks, blacktip reef sharks, nurse sharks and zebra sharks (which are often inaccurately called leopard sharks)..
I've not been in any way assaulted by them yet and I don't foresee being so in the near future. Id be a bit more careful with tigers, bulls and oceanic whitetips if I run across those though..

Did a couple days of NC diving out of Wrightsville Beach this last weekend. On Saturday on the Hyde saw the usual tiger sharks. There were a pair of them. On Sunday we were hunting for teeth along the bottom in front of the Hyde when the largest shark I have ever seen in water swam by and then came back past us again. Definitely not a sand tiger and larger than any sand tiger I have seen and I have seen hundreds of them. Not a sand bar either since missing the big fin. Consensus was that it was a really big bull shark. An impressive animal. Being an old still picture guy I was so mesmerized I forgot my camera even did video until it was out of sight. So just memories.

On Sunday we were hunting for teeth along the bottom in front of the Hyde when the largest shark I have ever seen in water swam by and then came back past us again. Definitely not a sand tiger and larger than any sand tiger I have seen and I have seen hundreds of them. Not a sand bar either since missing the big fin. Consensus was that it was a really big bull shark. An impressive animal. Being an old still picture guy I was so mesmerized I forgot my camera even did video until it was out of sight. So just memories.

My buddy and I saw the same shark with you that day, no pics or video either just memories as well. But wow, it was a big and incredibly impressive animal!

Come to Australia and do a trip up the coast of New South Wales from Sydney. There are seven different locations where grey nurse sharks (sand tigers as they are called in US) congregate. They are seen every dive at these locations, mostly all year round. We even have a site in Sydney a few hundred metres off one of the most famous beaches where yesterday friends saw over a dozen sharks.

Sharks are not terrifying. They might look that way in movies or some documentaries, but if you still think they are terrifying you are misunderstanding them too. Ok, I would not really wanna come across a great white or tiger, but most other sharks are either harmless or shy. The whale sharks you mention for example only eat plankton. One of the most common sharks on the reefs - the white tips - are in general very shy, and tend to swim away when you get close. The last shark I came across didn't even have any teeth. It was a bamboo shark. Could only see a tail, so stuck my camera in the cave to take a picture only to find out later two bamboo sharks were hiding.

Much more dangerous are creatures that hardly or don't move, or even corals that sting, or fish like trigger fish.

Anyway, there's loads of place to see sharks. I would advice you not to go anywhere where they feed them. And never touch them, or any other creature. Good luck.

Here are a couple of friends of mine free diving spearing a kingfish and losing it to a Bronze Whaler (Auckland, NZ). The visibility isn't as good as we might like - skip to about 2:15 where the bronzie first has a go at the kingfish. It also pops in a little closer towards the end of the video.
[video=youtube_share;UgyTJGIKdec]http://youtu.be/UgyTJGIKdec[/video]

Come to the NC coast. Lots of good wrecks and we have some good sized Sand Tiger Sharks that are always hanging out around the wrecks I've been to.

Back
Top Bottom