AOW & Rescue Diver Training - Utila or Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smartilla

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been reading through all the posts on here referencing Utila and Roatan for days. My boyfriend and I are looking into getting our AOW and Rescue Diver Certifications. We thought about doing them with a local diveshop, however since we live in SW Virginia, each certification requires a trip to NC or FL for the dives. Once you add in the price of the courses (much more expensive than Utila/Roatan AND the price of BOTH trips), it will been cheaper/the same price to fly to Utila or Roatan and do the dives there. I was originally sold on Utila because of the cheap prices and the fact that the dive courses include accommodations - however the more I look into it, the more I think Coconut Tree Divers in Roatan would be a better fit for us. We're both young and enjoy have a few beers after a day of diving, but not so sold on the huge party scene at Utila and then getting up and diving in the morning. The only downside that I see to Roatan is accommodation is not included so that can easily add up. Since i'm so undecided, my next decision was maybe go to Utila for a few days and do AOW (Utila seems to be something you have to check off your bucketlist) then travel to Roatan and do the Rescue Diver course. All in all - we can't realistically take more than 11 days off of work (including travel time). I was hoping some people on here might be able to help me in the right direction - stick to one place vs split the trip to two. Also, any feedback on Coconut Tree Divers in Roatan or a favorite diveshop in Utila would be appreciated (i'm leaning more towards Alton's Dive Center).

*Note: We are trying to get both courses completed on this trip to 1. save money and 2. better prepare us for this crazy dream we have of saying adios to the real world and becoming divemasters/instructors (leaning towards WickedDiving in Thailand/Indonesia), but that's for another day far down the road!

Thanks for your help/recommendations!:D

Do your first aid/CPR component in the States. Your 11 day plan to complete both the AOW & RD might be quite a challenge in the time you have so far allotted.

Wherever you go, no one is going to force you into a diversionary "party scene". I wouldn't make local reputations sway your decision in that regard.

Any time you spend back home doing pre-study and reading all of the manuals will be time well spent. Go with a trainer who can get those books to you in advance of your time in paradise.

Don't get "too far down the road" in terms of going island and becoming dive instructors. It is something best done when you are young and free of familial or financial encumbrances. For a whole lot of reasons, not a lot of us "old farts" that remain in the business.

It's going to cost you a minimum of $100 R/T plus a morning or afternoon to go between Roatan and Utila via ferries(2). You're also going to have to either fly into Roatan or San Pedro Sula to get to Utila first. You'll also need to do all your Utila travel before about 6:30 if you fly over, there's no airport lights on Utila. If you want to price that, Alice at [-]Morgans[/-] Worldwide Travel is the go to person. She lists prices on their Facebook page. If you do the ferries and can arrive on Roatan around noon, you can be on Utila by 5. So with a little pre-work you could start your classes the next morning most likely.

Since cost seems to be an issue, price flying into Roatan, ferrying over, ferrying back a few days later then flying home after your West End stop also. I don't really know which is cheaper - that or SPS-Utila - either way you have to get to Roatan somehow also. The Galaxy ferry docks in La Ceiba and you can get there by bus from SPS. Just not the same day IIRC. Somebody also does Utila to Roatan flights now IIRC.

Coconut Tree has an accommodations page listed under Roatan on their website. If you're really looking to save money, Chillies is a hostel. It's just across the street. Coconut Tree also rents cabins behind their shop and I think Posada Arco Iris is about $50-60/nt. - A/C is extra - including a small kitchen. Food is cheap, there's street vendors on up to nice restaurants. Most of our meals were under $20. You don't need a car - a cab from the airport or the ferry terminal will be about $25.

Sundowners is that few beers beach bar place. Across the street and down a block from CTD. You can't even stay late if you wanted to, they close around 10. Also CTD does beers on their deck on the honor system every afternoon.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help and suggestions. I will definitely contact Alice at Morgan's Travel as it was getting a bit overwhelming trying to plan flying vs ferry vs getting there in time for either. I will look into flights into Roatan as i've only previously checked flights to San Pedro Sula and then the flight to Utila.

Getting the manuals ahead of time is a great idea! I did not even consider that. Thanks guys!

I was 40 years old when I went to Utila to do AOW and Rescue, and while I enjoyed a beer in the evenings I did not stay out late most nights. I stayed in a rented studio apartment that was attached to a quiet private home, but accommodations at, say, Mango Inn, looked sweet. I think the descriptions of the "party scene" are often exaggerated. Utila is much more laid back and relaxed than you might have been led to believe. Many people who come to Utila are serious about their diving and do not party every night. Most evenings, the dive professionals and visiting divers alike will congregate for a couple of hours after dinner and have a couple of beers in the various bars, but by 10 pm the bars are fairly empty, everyone having gone home to get some sleep in preparation for the next day's diving. It is no different in West End, Roatan. Moreover, it isn't like noise from the bars carries all over town. Utila is a far cry from some sort of Spring Break town with strings of bars lining the street. The bars are small and scattered on the main street (and are not particularly noisy, from what I recall). As you walk back to your hotel room, the noise, if any, fades quickly. Don't let the scare stories deter you. There may be reasons to prefer Roatan over Utila, or Utila over Roatan, but the supposed "party scene" should not be one of them.

Here's the simple way the ferry works from Roatan.

Get to Roatan by noonish. Immigration may take longer than you think - we avg. 45mins. to an hour. Take a cab to the Galaxy terminal in Dixon Cove - about 10-15mins away. The Galaxy sails at 2PM sharp. First class gets you A/C, an upstairs lounge and a free drink. You'll arrive in La Ceiba (mainland) about 3:15.

Arriving on Roatan recover your luggage. Unless it's changed recently, it's somewhat of a free-for-all - I find waiving my claim ticket with $5 helps get someones attention. Exit the terminal and walk left thru the parking lot. The Princess Ticket office is right there and you'll see it moored. It leaves at 4:00, you'll be on Utila at the town dock at 5:10. Sometimes the Princess can't sail due to weather. Not very often but it does happen. The Galaxy is a much bigger boat.

Reverse the process to get back to Roatan. The early morning ferry leaves Utila at 6:20AM. You're back on Roatan at 10:45. We easily caught a 1PM flight out. There's also an afternoon alternative routing.

Deep Blue has the details. Deep Blue Utila - How to get to Utila Click the flights/ferry icons to the right for more specifics.

Don't know when you're planning but Carnival, Sun Jam and Semana Santa weeks change everything. Especially on Utila. I believe Carnival is in late July, Sun Jam is the 1st week of August and Semana Santa is Easter week. http://sunjamutila.com/

Also, I recommend spending a little extra money and taking the PADI eLearning prior to heading down. Nothing sucks worse than having to study on vacation. Having all the academic work done really helped when I did AOW and Rescue in Roatan (different trips.)

Carl

Lots of good information so far! It's also possible to fly from San Pedro Suladirect to Utila, depending on when your international flight arrives. Morgan Travel deals with SOSA so check them out. You can complete your AOW in as little as 2 days and some shops here on Utila do rescue in 3 days, our shop Deep Blue, does Rescue in 4 days. You will need your CPR/First Aid completed within last 2 years. must have your certification cards or you will have to spend the better part of a day completing your EFR course. We also offer 2 free fun dives with each course, so you'll want to leave time for that too! I enjoy diving on Utila and Roatan, can't really go wrong either way. Utila is smaller, easier to get around and less expensive than Roatan. Whatever you decide have fun diving!!

If I were you I would pick one island and do everything there. If you stick to one place it gives you more scheduling flexibility in getting both courses done - and saves you the cost/time of moving between the islands (which quite frankly can be a real pain there.) As far as partying in Utila, it's an option but no one says you have to - like many places, really.

We flew into San Pedro Sula, and made it to La Ceiba overland, from where you can take the ferry to Utila.
Agreed with all the others, don't worry about the party scene stopping you from getting your rest.
If you're trying to save money though, I wouldn't bother with the e learning beforehand.
It's not like there's that much to do in Utila, and lying in a hammock reading a manual is not the worst thing to do.
The good thing too is that you are immersed in your classes this way, and there are plenty of dive masters, instructors, and other students to talk to if you need something explained. I did my rescue class at Alton's and couldn't say nicer things about them Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom