sealife dc1400 macro lens......has it ever been considered?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewaiea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has sealife ever considered making a macro lens that can be attached externally just like the fisheye lens? I know that there is a macro mode, but a lens would be ideal wouldnt it?

Whether they've ever considered one, I have no idea. I know I've been asking for them to come out with one for quite some time now, though. Unfortunately, I've run out of time to wait with my fingers crossed since I'll be diving the Lembeh Straight in a month, which a super macro haven. So, I bit the bullet and ordered a SubSee +10 diopter, even though the price of the flip-adapter is pretty absurd. But, I figure I'll never be there again, and I don't want to leave wishing I had brought one along.
https://reefnet.ca/products/subsee/

I posted on here a few weeks ago regarding the diopter, but I haven't been able to find a single person that has used them with this camera. So, it looks like I get to be the guinea pig. Either way, I'll be sure to post on here with some sample pics as to how well they work together. Also, it turns out the SeaLife lenses I had heard about were actually just some really old school diopters made for the Reefmaster. Judging from the box, it looks like it was in the 80's or 90's...lol. It looks more like an underwater magnifying glass. I can't figure out how to delete or edit my post though.
New Sea Life Reefmaster Macro Set M N SL959 8mm Lens 16mm Lens Micro Wand | eBay

Pillpusher,

Forgive me for being a stone-cold rookie whose still working on his career and hasn't been able to dive headfirst into the DSLR world....but THANK YOU!!! That's very helpful!

So you can simply mount this diopter on as a wet-mount externally? From the looks of it you can.....and does it sit securely on the Sealife DC1400 housing? Because if so - I might just be cooking with some serious gas this coming October.

I'm headed to Papua New Guinea in October 2014 for my second trip there (first was in 2010). I'm diving North New Britain Island (Kimbe Bay, Witu Islands and Father's Reef) and I would love a macro solution that's more than simply the "macro mode" on the camera which I've never been totally impressed with. Next year (October 2015) I want to do Lembeh Strait for 4 days followed by 10 days on Komodo Dancer in Alor - so this year and next are all about macro. Which is my favorite.

Thanks again - any additional info or feedback on that diopter would be much appreciated.

No problem. The adapter is supposed to mount securely onto the housing. The order form lets you select the DC1000, and they tell me that will fit the DC1400 as well. So HOW securely it fits, remains to be seen. But if I don't trust it, I'll be returning it. I've gotten decent results with the SeaLife's macro and super macro modes, but not nearly as close as I'd like to get. So, I'm cautiously optimistic about this solution... But we'll see. I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts on it. And my trial and error should help to reduce your learning curve with it as well.

Well, I've got some bad news and some bad news... First, the bad news. I was contacted today by Reefnet, the makers of the Subsee diopter I ordered. They informed me that, in light of recent feedback, they are discontinuing the adapter for the Sealife cameras because even the +10 diopter doesn't offer much advantage over the SeaLife's super macro setting. They DO have a +40 prototype that significantly improves magnification and working distance, but I got the sense that no licensing agreement is eminent. I tried talking them out of one of them to let me "test drive" it for them in Lembeh next month, but they said SeaLife probably wouldn't care for that much...lol.

It seems that SeaLife feels that most of their customer base prefers to simply point and shoot, and that there wouldn't be enough demand for a macro lens to support the production of it. While I agree with the first part of that statement, that's certainly not the case with all of their customers. Also, I feel this camera is much better suited for macro photography than it is for wide angle reefscapes... However, they came out with a fish-eye lens, so why not a macro lens?

Anyway, I plan on writing SeaLife an email just to let them know that, while a large portion of their customer base are simple "point and shooters", not all of them are, and that myself and others think it would be a great product for them to release to the public.

I would like to see a Sealife Macro lens made to fit the 1200/1400. I've used the built in Macro setting and still get fuzzy looking pics. I think a lens would be a great addition.

Pillpusher, I talked to ReefNet today and had literally the same discussion with them. And I also agree that if they have come out with a wide angle lens, they DEFINITELY should have a macro lens. They like to pretend that their cameras have some DSLR capabilities, so why not give us the optical power to maximize the benefits of the device?

In another year, I might pull the plug and just get a DSLR finally and shoot some real pictures.

One major deficiency of this camera, it's not good for fast action shots due to the shutter lag. The strobe arms aren't as flexible as a larger nicer kit, and the few settings there are for f-stop and shutter speed are minimal and don't really give you too many options.

This year in Papua New Guinea might be my last year as a point and shoot shooter.

But I have been very impressed with Sealife's customer service over the last few years.

I think next year I might do a early summer trip to the Florida Keys for a long weekend to test out my new camera and then really put it to the test in Indonesia in October 2015 for 4 days in Lembeh and then 10 nights doing Alor. :) sound like a plan?

I agree. Though, you have to keep in mind that the SeaLife line is pretty much positioned as an entry level option that allows you to get good photos at a much lower price point. For that lower price, you lose some some functionality. Few manual settings, no RAW, etc. The shutter lag seems to be most people's number one complaint, but honestly, it's something that has rarely given me problems. The only time I can think of is when trying to get good macro shots of those cute little juvenile trunkfish bouncing around quickly. The flex arms allow me to position the strobes how I want for the most part. Although, I'm considering adding a 2nd set of them for added flexibility. If you are using the old ball joint arms, send them in to have them extended. It only costs $20-$30 per arm or so (if I remember correctly), and it is worth every penny.

Yes, DSLR's will obviously take much better photographs, and my Nikon is all I use on dry land... But to be honest, I don't know that I'll ever make that jump for underwater. Aside from the housing alone costing more than an entire SeaLife Pro Duo setup, I just like being able to operate most of the camera's functions with one hand and not having to lug a monstrous rig around the entire time. With a SeaLife, I still feel like a diver first, and a photographer only when I want to be or I see something cool. If I were a professional photographer or trying to sell images, I would probably feel differently... I mean, I take pride in my photos, but I just do it for fun. I would possibly consider one of the other compact options available now though depending on what improvements SeaLife makes in the near future.

I bought my first SeaLife camera in 2008, and their great customer service is one of the reasons I've remained loyal to them. Another reason is that they have continuously improved their products every couple of years. The DC1400 came out about three years ago, so hopefully they are due for a DC1600 or, better yet, 2000 soon? 14MP was a benefit three years ago, but now they've been passed by. The good thing is that just about all of the cons to the DC1400 shouldn't require a major overhaul, or major price hike to fix. RAW (or at least an option for a RAW capable internal camera it at a higher price) and/or better white balance, less shutter lag, more manual settings, etc... If they are able to improve on some of these issues, and offer new products that allow users to continue to expand their skills (such as fish eye and macro lenses), it would allow their customers' skills to grow WITH SeaLife products, rather than grow OUT of them.

Great thread. We loved our dc1000 much more than the 1400 go figure

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom