Blue and Mako sharks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BluewaterPhoto

Bluewater Photo & Travel
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We had some awesome luck this past weekend with both Blue and Mako sharks 3 days in a row!

They are really amazing animals. we are going out again this weekend if anyone is interested in joining us.

1486796_828836617129244_5332507491004900192_n.jpg

10336797_828836510462588_2889753364114240001_n.jpg

There are more photos here if anyone is interested.

Happy diving and snorkeling!

Scott

very nice

Glad to see you are finding and photographing them out there, Scott. I hear great things about your trips.

Unfortunately I think back 40-45 years when encountering sharks in the waters off Catalina was a daily experience. You'd even see them on shore dives occasionally. And there were often dozens of them sighted from the boat on the way to the next dive site. Sadly, our island-based sharks dives stopped a few years ago due to the few numbers sighted even after hours of chumming.

I definitely am jealous of the old timey divers and their experience with sharks in SoCal water.

The blue sharks used to be very very common and visible on the surface in the Channel between the mainland and Catalina and a nuisance if you fished off Orange County. Never see them anymore.

Yeah, I was told my several people that you saw hundreds on the way to Catalina in the 70's.

My understanding is that the blues are a migratory species, so what affects them in other waters in the Pacific impacts what we see here in our waters. Of course after "Jaws" came out that were a lot of bozos who went out fishing here for sharks (of almost any species) to get rid of them. They would occasionally even weigh in a great white on our Pleasure Pier scales in Avalon (until the City realized this might be bad for tourism). I was abalone diving off Indian Head Point on the backside near Little Harbor back in 1970 and as we swam back towards shore (long swim) I thought I saw one of my buddies alongside me. Turned out to be a blue shark that followed me all the way into the surf line.

Where were the photos of the sharks taken?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom