BP/W + Weight System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jreilly2120

Registered
Reaction score
I'm shopping around for my first BP/W, looking at the lower end of the spectrum right now. I currently dive singles and would need ~35lbs lift capacity, but would like a backplate that could accept doubles for a tech class in the fall. Under 400$ would be great, so would a hogarthian harness (size M or L- I am 5'10 ~220lbs). Any weight system would do, but a steel backplate would be great, I dive with ~28 lbs in a jacket, wouldn't mind moving some of that weight around. Please PM or post here whatever you have and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

-Joe

Hey Joe, lots of new systems out there for that price, check Cave Adventurers, Diverightinscuba. If I might, I'm guessing that you only want one wing right now but would want it for doubles later on? Where are you diving? Drysuit? 99% of back plates accept doubles and singles! some require a single tank adapter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just got a ss backplate wing harness cam bands and all for under $400 but the wing was a 32lbs hog

That sounds good but the 32 is a little small. After some advice from some forum guys, I'm upping my needs to 38-40#. Deco- thanks for the links, I am going to contact those guys and see what they can do for me. They look like good shops and I like the prices.

Why would you need more than 32-35 lbs of lift for single tanks? I have put around 50 divers in BPW's in the last couple years.

I've sold them to local divers near me to divers in Singapore, Scotland, Canada, and Germany.

I've yet to see anyone that needed more lift than that (30-35lbs) for single tank diving. Even heavy steel singles.

You don't need to get more than that until you do get into doubles. 40lbs is fine for al80's and maybe LP 72's. 50-58 will work for any doubles set up.

Your plate will work with doubles. Do not try to buy a wing that will work with singles and doubles. Both ends of the spectrum will suffer in some way. Doubles wings are too big for singles and your dual purpose wing will likely not work with a set of LP 95's.

I have an article on BPW's I can send you. All I need is an email. It's too big to send via PM or post here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom