Thailand...WTF?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cb5150

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I admit to being one of those guys that has tried to disconnect when it comes to watching the news. Mostly because it's only BAD news like this...

I see there has been a military coup in Thailand and now reading books in public can get you arrested. Really? WTF?

Things around the tourist areas are pretty much as normal for thailand during coups/uprisings...sure some of the thailand based posters can give an update. I know the curfew in phuket has been extended for tourism industry.

So it took you over a week to pick up on the fact that there was a coup in Thailand, you pick up on one small thing, which has absolutely nothing at all to do with diving and decide to discuss this on a Thai based dive forum.

With all due respect, why don't you try asking this question on more related forums, like Thai visa. There are more appropriate places where your questions can be discussed in the proper environment and setting.

So it took you over a week to pick up on the fact that there was a coup in Thailand, you pick up on one small thing, which has absolutely nothing at all to do with diving and decide to discuss this on a Thai based dive forum.

With all due respect, why don't you try asking this question on more related forums, like Thai visa. There are more appropriate places where your questions can be discussed in the proper environment and setting.

Well I see somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Sorry for pissing in your Pad Thai.

Well I see somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Sorry for pissing in your Pad Thai.

You might want to cut Limbo some slack as I am sure it is very stressful having your country in the midst of such political upheaval and turmoil. Count yourself very lucky that you live in the U.S. where we may have a contentious political system, but have not had to deal with a coup as are the people in Thailand. I doubt they are having a lot of fun right now. Also, FWIW, IMHO, being oblivious to what is going on in the world in which you live and dive is not a virtue. And no, I did not get up on the wrong side of the bed either.

You might want to cut Limbo some slack as I am sure it is very stressful having your country in the midst of such political upheaval and turmoil. Count yourself very lucky that you live in the U.S. where we may have a contentious political system, but have not had to deal with a coup as are the people in Thailand. I doubt they are having a lot of fun right now. Also, FWIW, IMHO, being oblivious to what is going on in the world in which you live and dive is not a virtue. And no, I did not get up on the wrong side of the bed either.
I hope this is not the midst of political turmoil but the end.

To outsiders it may look like 'military coup, democratic elected government replaced', to many people living here it feels much more like 'finally, hope they can give the country some peace and quiet now'.

Well you're pissing him off because your post may draw diver's attention to the fact that the danger level in Thailand might be heightened during this period of unrest and may affect his business traffic if divers were to know the truth. Thanks for your post and ignore the people with the obvious ulterior motives.

Well you're pissing him off because your post may draw diver's attention to the fact that the danger level in Thailand might be heightened during this period of unrest and may affect his business traffic if divers were to know the truth. Thanks for your post and ignore the people with the obvious ulterior motives.
I like the thread because it gives a chance to correct misinformation. Heightened danger levels? Total nonsense.

I like the thread because it gives a chance to correct misinformation. Heightened danger levels? Total nonsense.

Here here...Life is normal for the majority of us, diving and tourism in general is proceeding as it has before. The danger level, if there was any, is nothing unless you want to do something stupid! Thailand in the news will soon be replaced by Justin Bieber (oh it already has) and the Kardashians... :cool2:

Here on Koh Tao one would not know there was a coup or curfew in operation. All businesses are operating normally and there has been no effect on night life or restaurants. The curfew has not been enforced and tourists and locals have been free to move as they please around the island. All transport links including night trains, buses and boats are operating normally.
We have experienced some delay with certain extra-ordinary supplies and services but essential supplies such as food, water, electricity, fuel and post are completely unaffected. The internet services to the island are working, if a little slower than normal. There has been no blocking of any websites that we are aware of as has been reported in some parts of the country.
I cannot speak for other islands in the Gulf Of Thailand, but our understanding is that they are also largely unaffected, as are many areas outside large cities.
As the curfew is relaxed (it’s now from 00:00 – 04:00 only) hopefully visitors will further trust that Thailand is safe to visit.

Back
Top Bottom