shop vac pressure test of Viking drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3D diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My Viking drysuit leaked during two dives last weekend. The problem seemed to be near my right shoulder---the right arm got pretty wet & I had over a pint of water in the suit after two dives. My undies did their job so I didn't get cold, but it was annoying having the water sloshing about. There are no obvious visual holes or damage to the zipper so I'm hoping it was a matter of the zipper not being closed fully, or my undies in the zipper or wrist seal. Just to be sure I did some Googling on drysuit pressure testing and found an old SB thread about using a shop vacuum so thought I'd give it a try.

Summary of test:

I used two 16 oz soda bottles to plug the wrist seals. I put a 2 liter soda bottle through the neck seal, duct taped it to the vacuum hose, and cut two holes in the bottle to allow air into the suit. I put a gate valve in the hose, filled the suit with air, closed the valve and shut off the vacuum. With the suit thus inflated I applied soapy water to the zipper and other suspect areas looking for telltale bubbles.

I've been diving Vikings since '89 and have experienced a few leaks over the years. Last weeks leak was larger than I'd experienced before so I was expecting a substantial response if there really is a hole or damage to the zipper. In the event, I did not detect any leaks. This suggests either my test method is flawed, the leak was temporary (i.e. undies related), or I'm looking in the wrong place.

Details:

block wrist seals with soda bottles:

Cut holes in 2Liter bottle, insert in neck and duct tape to hose:

Setup, ready to inflate:

Unedited video of pressurization and test:

If anyone has further suggestions, I'm listening & have time to try a few more things tomorrow.

Otherwise, my plan is to take it diving again, see if the leak recurs, and have my buddy do a video survey of my suit looking for bubbles.

Best way I have found (and I dive the same Viking suit) is the inside-out method. I recently posted it in another thread, so I'm just copying it here.

Make a very small investment in a test kit that you will need anyway. Go to Home Depot and pick up a bunch of paint stirring sticks (free) and a dozen or so small spring clamps (maybe $1 each). Then you're good to go.

Turn the suit inside out as much as you can. You probably won't be able to completely invert the feet unless it is a soft sock, but that's ok. Now get the zippers completely closed by reaching in through the neck seal. Pull the neck seal closed and try to fold it over and sandwich it between a couple of paint sticks, securing it with several spring clamps. Then do the same for one of the wrist seals. Once you're convinced the suit is sealed up, lay the suit down and use a garden hose to fill the suit about half way with water through the open wrist seal. You actually don't need it that full, but it makes it easier to find leaks by yourself. When you have enough water in it, seal off the remaining wrist.

You can now roll the suit around and put the water pressure on every square inch while looking for any water leaking out. Especially the zipper, seals and wear areas. The inside of the suit (which is now outside) should remain bone dry to the touch. Any water leaking through is a problem to be investigated. Mark the area with a wax pencil.

This method will find tiny slow leaks in pin holes and seams that the soapy water method will miss.

Others have suggested this to me as well, but we're having a serious drought so I thought I'd try this first. :D

Since I didn't find any obvious leaks I did another dive with it and my right arm was soaked once again.

I sent it off to a shop recommended by a couple of friends to see what they could find.

They have checked out the zipper thoroughly and verified my results...no leaks, whew! They will continue testing, but I'm starting to wonder if the problem is water getting past my wrist seal.

I've had occasional leaks past my wrist seal over the years, when I flex my wrist enough for my tendons to form a channel. It's never been this bad before, but I've lost a lot of weight & that may make it worse.

Anyone else had that problem?

I may have to look into a dry glove setup.

Update: they found thin rubber near the zipper and vent & contacted Viking to see if they'd cover it. The answer was no (2 years old) so have slathered lots of rubber over the thin spots (inside and out) and shipped it back to me. It should arrive early next week.

I have similar problem with my left wrist, I finally figured out it is the tendons. Changed to silicon seal, it did a better job but still not completely dry. No problem with dry gloves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Put solo cups in the hand holes, and a round tupperware bowl in the neck seal ( get one an inch or two wider than your neck). Attach the LPI and fill the suite full so that the bowl stretches into the neck seal.

Use a spray bottle with soapy liquid and drench the part of the suit where you think you are leaking. Note that this will only verify a positive pressure test. It does not verify a negative pressure test.

I recently had a pee valve leak even after i did a pressure test which confirmed that i was leaking do to negative pressure.

You may need to reverse the suit to find a negative pressure leak.

Hope this helps.

T.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom