Backpacking with dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BackpackingScubaDiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I run a website (link in the signature) called Backpacking Scuba Diver. I'm interested to know if anyone has backpacked with their gear and what bag you used. I'm looking to do a write up about this so I'd love to hear some first hand accounts (good or bad) about your experience. Would also love to hear any suggestions on bags based on opinions as well.

It doesn't have to be a typical gear bag. For example, I use the Equinox Extreme which doubles as a duffel and backpack to carry my gear, clothes, etc.

Please PM me here or send email to lloyd@backpackingscubadiver.com if you're willing to share.

Thanks!

[MOD feel free to move this if it's not in the right location.]

I backpacked from Mexico to Panama with all my scuba gear and all my course materials to do my idc which were a ton of books. The trip was about a year and used buses, taxis, pickup trucks, motorbikes and boats. I had all my dive gear in a bag with wheels and my clothes etc on my bag. It was a nightmare in places but generally lots of fun, there were only 2 attempts to rob me, both in Honduras and both unsuccessful.

I don't remember the brand of rucksack.

I've backpacked across Australia with my full Diving kit (minus tanks and weights). If I remember rightly, I had a black Oceanic bag.. Pretty good and lasted more miles than I expected too. Sadly though, it all got nicked from my hostel dorm in a secure (apparently but obviously not) locker...

Kind Regards,

Thomas Paris
www.scubawhere.com

I prefer to flashpack. Not even sure of the brand of my divebag which is my clothing and everything else I need bag but its held up through 14 countries so far. Its been on everything from horse carts in Sulawesi to accidentally private jets in Cambodia. I admit, I get a certain perverse delight out of jumping out of a plane, lugging it over my shoulder and hitch hiking to a $2000 a night over water bungalow in French Polynesia. Ive met far more interesting people that way than taxi's..and in the words of a stall holder in bali...im a cheap aussie bastard. :D

I did a month and a half in Asia, with all my gear in my backpack. More flashpacking than backpacking though, this was a divetrip.

Big bag was a Gregory (Whitney I think), big ass back country backpack. Full to the brim, with fins (smallish), vest (oxycheq ultralite), strobe arms + camera tray, spool, SMB, booties, a 3mm shortie (useless), small light, clothes and other crap you need.

Personal bag had, camera, reg, mask, computer,compass, strobes, lens, batteries, chargers, netbook.

The big problem with using a bag like that is that the strong armature weighs too much, with current airlines weight limits it's a problem. But it's more mobile than a suitcase if you have to move, not that you're that mobile with a 50lbs backpack (well most people aren't).

I think the choice of dive gear is more important than the choice of the bag.

Thanks a mil for the comments! Great to hear about other people's experiences. I started the website for lack of info on the subject and I'm starting to focus less on myself and more on the idea of providing solid, up to date info to others who want to travel as lightweight as possible with the right gear / bag.

Flash packing is all good too. What I'm looking for is different options to carry your pack without the suitcase style or a bag that screams "I'm a diver with a bunch of expensive equipment in here" (Thomas Paris - that Oceanic symbol might have done this for you!)

Wingy - I bet you've got some pretty good stories. I like the way you travel! Just because people 'backpack' doesn't mean they do everything cheap.

Atom - fully agree with the choice of dive gear, but you know how we are....some things we just need to dive with (ahhem, JetFins). So a variety of different options is nice.

Has anyone used the AERIS Jetpack? Doesn't look like a personal option for myself (I dive BP/W) but would be interested in opinions...

Have to define what you are going on about. Your website leans more towards "backpacker lifestyle", but in this post you go towards specific backpacks and carrying containers.

Backpacking- as in stuffing all needed gear in and humping it for many long, long walks, miles long?

Or.... Backpacking as in walking from curb to airport departure gate?

I would venture that 99.8% of people who are using backpacks fit into that second category.

By looking at the suggested packing list on your website, looks like you're not carrying it any too far. Two different knives? (So, we do have checked bags, yes?) A jump rope? Wireless mouse? External Hard Drive (versus a dozen 16gb SD Cards?) And do check into MiFlex hoses.

Buying anything with a dive logo (or modern day North Face) on it is just pure foolishness. Sloppy bags with bad straps. Extra charge for corporate markings.

Here's something developed not by fashion designers but by Bell Labs: MOLLE Pack and Pouches Comes in various sizes. Available used, very cheaply. Can be painted if you don't like the color. These are called "Load Bearing Gear" and they do not appear on eBags.

Not a specific bag recommendation (Not: I bought this one and it's the bestest ever!) Commercial gear source: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Category___40000000226_200368329 or http://www.sierratradingpost.com/luggage~d~33/

Reasonably priced checked bags that I can roll two of... on my own? http://shop.highsierra.com/High-Sie...&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize

I've had mules carrying my dive gear in 1972 Mexico, but now I admit it- I'm an airport backpacker: http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/FLIEGERDUFFEL-ADVENTURE-BAG-p920.htm

* The commonly accepted urban myths of airline checked-bag SCUBA pilferage? I hope your website's writings will resist pandering to that unfounded (but almost universal) fear.

Good luck with your website, I would stick to lifestyle type posts, but yes- divers are enchanted by gear, so I do understand. Me? I'll carry very little on my shoulders when I travel, either check it in or tip the porter.

Last edited:
Thanks Doc.

Either kind of backpacker really. Personally, I carry my gear in my pack all over while actually backpacking - lugging it from town to town in small buses and tight spaces around SE Asia. But not everyone prefers / does that. Just trying to find some info on both / all styles (long walkers and airporters). But with more of an emphasis on a backpack style rather than luggage / suitcase.

Reactions: Doc
Ive been considering my options. Less for backpacking for recreation and more because I'm interested in hitting some rather remote locations. Since I'll need to bring my tanks that means a pack of no less than 125lbs. I'm drafting up some plans for a more comfortable waistbelt and shoulder straps that I can quickly attach and remove from my backplate. Means I'll be dealing with minimizing weight for life support gear. i.e. ultralight tent, bag, stove, etc. Going to work my plans over for the next two years so hopefully when I'm stateside I can test out some designs. Interested to see where this leads. Sub'd

Back
Top Bottom