Gear for my daughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robby6Pack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everybody. My 15 year old daughter is going to take her OW diver course soon. I have a couple of questions about packages. I believe the best mask, is the one that fits. Once we find that mask, is it worth it to find a package with fins and a snorkel, or buy individually? What are your opinions about fins? Please keep in mind that she will probably out grow these, so I don't want to spend a ton on fins. Thanks for any and all input.

Robby T

I'm not a fan of packages of any sort. They are unlikely to contain all stuff you really want, unless it's a "make your own package and get a discount" thing like some places will do - of course that still only works if one place carries everything you want. If it's a prepackaged set at a chain, you might find a great mask for a great price that way, but there's a good chance the included fins are more suited for snorkeling than scuba. (Of course if you happen to find a mask that works, packaged with suitable fins at a good price, go for it - it just seems unlikely.)

So go find fins that fit her with whatever exposure protection she is using. You can save lots of money by getting basic paddle fins instead of the latest expensive gimmicky things. You can save even more by buying them used - fins are a great thing to buy used as the condition is easy to judge and simple fins are pretty bulletproof, aside from maybe the straps.

Buy her the simplest and cheapest j tube snorkel you can find. My favorite is the one I sell for twelve bucks. Don't waste money on dry or semi dry with purge valves. Completely unnecessary for scuba. Once she's certed and knows what she's doing the snorkel will likely end up staying in the dive bag where it belongs until she wants to take a surface interval and snorkel around without scuba gear.

Fins you can get a perfectly serviceable set for under $50.00. I've put a few people in these with no complaints. Her mask may work for her for years as will the fins since scuba fins have adjustable straps and open heels for the most part. What I'd look to replace based on growth with kids is her boots and wetsuit. I also would stay away from packages. Many times they are a compromise mix of good and ok or are intended to best serve the shop's cash flow as opposed to the best interests of the diver.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I went the essentials path with my son. Mask snorkel fins and wetsuit. After 70ish dives I got him a really nice regulator set because he earned it and I know he will stick with it as a sport going forward. No bc yet want to slow the growth process first.

Buy her the simplest and cheapest j tube snorkel you can find. My favorite is the one I sell for twelve bucks. Don't waste money on dry or semi dry with purge valves. Completely unnecessary for scuba.

I strongly disagree with this. First, a dry or semi-dry snorkel is not very expensive. Second, If you swim out to a dive site in the ocean (not a lake or quarry) you are going to get water in the tube unless the sea is like glass. It makes it so much easier to clear when the water runs out the bottom of the barrel.

---------- Post added June 7th, 2014 at 08:42 AM ----------

I went the essentials path with my son. Mask snorkel fins and wetsuit. After 70ish dives I got him a really nice regulator set because he earned it and I know he will stick with it as a sport going forward. No bc yet want to slow the growth process first.

With 70 dives how much did you spend on rental gear? If you don't want a BP/W then find something like an Express Tech which is infinitely adjustable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom