Cam Band Tension Pads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tddfleming

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there any other tensions bands that have lower profile? I had to remove the top tension pad as it was digging into my spine and causing pain. Would not be too bad if we only dove once in a while but we dive every weekend and some weekdays and now that summer is upon us and green flag days are in my horizon, we will be diving more. Looking for a solution to replace this and/or just keeping tension so it will not slip off my tank.

Thanks,

Is there any other tensions bands that have lower profile? I had to remove the top tension pad as it was digging into my spine and causing pain. Would not be too bad if we only dove once in a while but we dive every weekend and some weekdays and now that summer is upon us and green flag days are in my horizon, we will be diving more. Looking for a solution to replace this and/or just keeping tension so it will not slip off my tank.

Thanks,

I'm afraid I don't understand your question.

Are you using DSS cam strap tension pads? Typically these are used with Non DSS BC's.

Or are you using the Wedge Blocks that are furnished with DSS Back Plate and Wing Systems?

I would suggest that if it is the second you may not have them properly installed. In the correct location it would be nearly impossible for the wedge blocks to contact your spine.

Forgive the small image, but the rig on the front page of our website shows the wedge blocks properly installed. https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=home

Tobin

wing.jpg

I have attached a photo so you can see if it is done correctly. It is from when we bought the set up. I removed the top one today before the dive and it felt better. I guess it would be the band that is hitting my spine now that I look at the picture. However, at the end of the dive the top cam band was very loose on my tank. Not sure if this clears it up???

Actually, those are where they're supposed to go.

Those are "tension pads" and work by giving some tension to the cam band, not by increasing the friction between the cam band and the tank.

View attachment 186189

I have attached a photo so you can see if it is done correctly. It is from when we bought the set up. I removed the top one today before the dive and it felt better. I guess it would be the band that is hitting my spine now that I look at the picture. However, at the end of the dive the top cam band was very loose on my tank. Not sure if this clears it up???

They are correctly installed.

Given the human anatomy it's hard for me to see how your spine contacts this pad.

First time I've ever had anybody report they could feel the camband / wedge block. Not sure what is going on with your rig. It's possible to use the cambands without the wedge blocks, but it requires one be careful tightening the bands.

Tobin

Actually, those are where they're supposed to go.

Those are "tension pads" and work by giving some tension to the cam band, not by increasing the friction between the cam band and the tank.

There is no reason for them not to do both, especially if you don't use them on a double plate with an STA like the Freedom Plate or a poodle-jacket BC. I remove the Velcro from my cam bands and use the pads to hold the end of the strap as in the attached image. For clarity I took the image without a wing or plate.

Attachments

• Cam Band Pad.jpg
    Cam Band Pad.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 462
Akimbo:

Those are a totally different product. Those ARE designed to go on the cam band and increase friction between the cam band and the tank. The OP is talking about Tobin's cam tensioners that do, in fact, go on the diver side of the plate and provide some "give" to the cam band tension.

I will play with it some more. I knew this was going to be a little strange to ask, but thought I would ask and see if anyone else has had the issue and how they solved it. Or if there is a lower profile tensions.

Thanks for the help anyway!

They are correctly installed.

Given the human anatomy it's hard for me to see how your spine contacts this pad.

First time I've ever had anybody report they could feel the camband / wedge block. Not sure what is going on with your rig. It's possible to use the cambands without the wedge blocks, but it requires one be careful tightening the bands.

Tobin

These are Tobin's Cam Strap Tension Pads in the image <edit: to the left of the cam> https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=43

There is also a rubber protective pad under the cam band in the image, but that is just to prevent scaring Aluminum cylinders when I travel. Oddly enough, that pad under the cam does very little to increase friction when wet. Tobin's pads do a much better job than just that piece of rubber.

Several of us actually did some shop experiments of holding power when preparing the http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu.../391300-cam-buckle-assembly-instructions.html We took a cylinder with intentionally loose bands and jerked them by letting them drop about 3' before the overhead rope stopped them mid-air. In this case we were testing the efficacy of two bands versus one, but we were left with the impression that the pads helped.

In any case, if you don't use them this way you should try it. They have worked well for several years on a Freedom Plate. I especially recommend them to people with physical limitations that makes using a highly tensioned cam band uncomfortable regardless of back plate or BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom