New diver! Need help please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm one of those "a lot of divers". I do believe that, if you have your eye on technical or cave diving, you should just go ahead and buy gear that will work for that application from the start. The key is that that gear will work for open water diving, too, and you save considerable money not having to replace what you originally bought. And the "tech" gear (which isn't, really) is not only not more expensive than more "standard" gear, in some cases it is cheaper.

I agree, but I'm not saying, or at least it's not what I meant, he shouldn't buy tech gear. My point was more that at this time, just after getting OW, it is hard to tell if he eventually wants to go pro. I see so many complete sets on sale on second hand sites from people that bought everything and then after 50 dives or so quit and sell at great loss.
But of course when buying gear, it should last you quite a while. I own stuff that I've been using for more than 15 years.

Thank you everyone for the feed back. I have a decent idea of what I need. Now I would rather buy brand new gear knowing everything is absolutely going to work, BUT, I seen this yesterday when I was looking at dive computers. This new setup any good? I've never heard of sherwood. I am new though, so that could be the reason.

http://atlanta.en.craigslist.org/sat/spo/4472015133.html

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You will want a single tank (rec instructors use these and single tank diving is easy and a good starting point). A steel backplate and minimalist harness and a wing are economical in the long run and upgradeable to tech. Our club uses steel backplate + wing + single tank adapter for owd courses and it works well and is indestructible :wink: If you get a jacket instead then you need to upgrade it for tech diving.

Dont buy the most expensive dive computer mpw but instead one with air and nitrox mode and bottom timer mode.

Lähetetty minun GT-S7710 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

For that much money, I think you could get stuff you'd have a better chance of hanging onto.

This was almost exactly the setup we bought when we started. Although Peter still uses his Balance when he teaches in the pool (and we both use the Titans for that) we replaced almost everything else -- me, within 6 months.

What we're all trying to say is that you should buy your second set of gear first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The gear you choose should reflect the temps and area of the dive. I typically dive in a little chilly water with little to no vis so i will either dive dry or even semi dry to stay warm. As for the computer i use one that is not air intagrated so that way i can focus on my depth and my air supply separately. However they do make computers that are air intagrated but it is personel choice on what you choose to go with. The dive computer does have some advantages it can record dives for you and you can download them to your desktop computer to see your depth, temps, and it can date it for you and put it in a graph to show you.

Just to amplify my answer to your question about the gear package . . . our LDS has a package of brand new gear, including a DSS backplate and wing for single tanks, a SubGear regulator roughly equivalent to the ScubaPro MK11, with two second stages, hoses, and a pressure gauge, and a Zoop wrist computer, for a little less than the price on that used package.

I've been thinking about the decisions facing a new diver. I don't think which reg. you get is going to matter all that much, as long as you get a good one that can be locally serviced. Atomic, Aqualung, Apeks, Oceanic, ScubaPro, Sherwood, there are lots of names out there that could serve you well. If you dive cold, get one that can handle cold, as others explained.

On the computer angle, it does matter what you get, but it's probably not going to have a huge impact on how you dive. A number of people on the forum prefer wrist units for recreational diving, but if you want AI, a wrist unit means a wireless transmitter on your 1st stage and you'll pay a few hundred for this capability. I like glancing at my wrist and seeing depth, pressure & NDL all in one place. That's a benefit to wearing my old VT3 despite having the Cobalt. There's a decent chance in a few years some newer, more powerful computer will catch your eye, so I doubt you'll still be diving that same computer in 10 years.

The jacket BCD vs. backplate/wing issue is going to be a bigger issue. I only dive weight-integrated jacket BCDs and loathe weight belts; when I say jacket BCD, I assume weight-integrated, but that's not always the case. I strongly recommend you find and read through some of the threads debating jacket vs. BP/W. This decision entails in investment of hundreds of dollars. But your personality and attitude will play a role.

With a jacket BCD, once you pick one and what size, you basically put it on. Load lead into the weight pockets, maybe cinch up the straps across the front, and stick a tank on the back and hook up low pressure inflator. Go dive.

From what I understand with BP/W, you need to choose a backplate - steel (heavier; less lead to wear) or aluminum (travels lighter in baggage). Okay, what wing do you want with that? You could use a range of brands. Probably don't need a dual bladder wing... And then there's webbing; the straps that tie it onto you, including a crotch strap so it doesn't ride up. Don't see any weight pouches for an integrated weights approach? There are ways to deal with that; what would you like? My point is, BP/W might confront you with choices. Some people consider that a strength as they can customize it; some are put off because they don't want to have to learn about & decide anything.

And your BCD or BP/W is something you could conceivably dive for the next 20 years. Your regulator could last a long time, too. The computer I'm guessing you'll replace after several years. So focus your investigation on what's going to have the biggest impact on your scuba life.

Richard.

Thank you everyone for the feed back. I have a decent idea of what I need. Now I would rather buy brand new gear knowing everything is absolutely going to work, BUT, I seen this yesterday when I was looking at dive computers. This new setup any good? I've never heard of sherwood. I am new though, so that could be the reason.

Scuba Package

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sherwood is a reputable brand but the price is too high for the package.

---------- Post added June 8th, 2014 at 01:00 PM ----------

I do believe that, if you have your eye on technical or cave diving, you should just go ahead and buy gear that will work for that application from the start. The key is that that gear will work for open water diving, too, and you save considerable money not having to replace what you originally bought. And the "tech" gear (which isn't, really) is not only not more expensive than more "standard" gear, in some cases it is cheaper.

I couldn't agree with this statement more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom