Bad News about Lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

remember the point of the study people -- the f* fish can survive very low salinity levels which means they can invade the estuaries -- More than 70 percent of Florida's recreationally and commercially important fishes, crustaceans, and shellfish spend part of their lives in estuaries, usually when they are young.
Estuaries (link for that info)

think what effect that would have on the fishing industries, commercial & recreational -- and the trickle down effect from it.

good new though

Today, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, at their regular meeting in Fort Myers, approved changes that take effect Aug. 1 and include:

• Prohibiting the importation of live lionfish.
  • Allowing the harvest of lionfish when diving with a rebreather, a device that recycles air and allows divers to remain in the water for longer.
  • Allowing participants in approved tournaments and other organized events to spear lionfish or other invasive species in areas where spearfishing is not allowed. This will be done through a permitting system.

I am not an expert on sixth grade science fair judging, but I have to think that they are judged not only on the result but the entire process including presentation of results. I think it is at least possible that two projects were better even though they may or may not have produced results that were as scientifically important.

It's tough to beat a volcano

---------- Post added June 18th, 2014 at 12:26 PM ----------

The real sadness in all this is the big picture that for about 10 years with dozens and dozens of countries effected by the lionfish in the Caribbean, the combined amount of money devoted to scientific study of the problem is so low that a 6 grader can do simple scientific experiments that haven't been done yet. It's truly disgusting.

the real sadness in all this is the big picture that for about 10 years with dozens and dozens of countries effected by the lionfish in the caribbean, the combined amount of money devoted to scientific study of the problem is so low that a 6 grader can do simple scientific experiments that haven't been done yet. It's truly disgusting.

amen!

It's tough to beat a volcano

---------- Post added June 18th, 2014 at 12:26 PM ----------

The real sadness in all this is the big picture that for about 10 years with dozens and dozens of countries effected by the lionfish in the Caribbean, the combined amount of money devoted to scientific study of the problem is so low that a 6 grader can do simple scientific experiments that haven't been done yet. It's truly disgusting.

that's politicians and the head in the sand approach they tend to take

remember the point of the study people -- the f* fish can survive very low salinity levels which means they can invade the estuaries -- More than 70 percent of Florida's recreationally and commercially important fishes, crustaceans, and shellfish spend part of their lives in estuaries, usually when they are young.
Estuaries (link for that info)

If true, then we need to find a way to safely begin population counts in the estuaries.

that's politicians and the head in the sand approach they tend to take

Actually, I suspect that's the right amount of anger we need to give the people with the money and power to have in dealing with this issue. It should be an election losing issue not to have a serious strategy for this invasion. There needs to be serious and focused research going on from a variety of angles, and if there are still so many things a kid can figure out on her own, we all need to feel ashamed of ourselves for our lack of thinking and action.

There are universities out there who should be working to justify their department budgets, and an Army Corps of Engineers who'd rather dump sand all over coral instead of handling something that's an actual catastrophe.
It's our responsibility to force them to wake up.

Marine science is way, way down on the list of priorities for spending money, particularly in Florida with the current Administration.

Hope they don't make it to Toledo Bend......:(

Government involvement is rarely a solution to any problem...so be careful what you wish for.

I wonder if anyone has put a lionfish and a snakehead together to see who wins. This does not sound good though.

I know lionfish are good eats (I look for them specifically for my belly everytime I dive), and I've been told snakehead are also. Why can't we just eat our way out of this problem, like donuts! Anyone hungry?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom