Surgeon dies in Enchanted River cave - Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Surgeon-cave diver dies in Enchanted River | ABS-CBN News
CEBU - A Cebuano cave diver died after failing to come out of the Enchanted River in Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur on Tuesday, authorities said.
Dr. Alfonso Amores, along with other professional divers, went there supposedly to put safety measures for a scheduled television shoot featuring the Enchanted River.
According to Andy Berame of Lapu-Lapu City's Task Force Kalikasan, he last saw Amores last Thursday when they had their usual night diving in Mactan. He said he even helped Amores pack his diving gear for Surigao.
He said the last time they went to the Enchanted River together was in November last year.
"He was excited because diving in Enchanted River is always a challenge, it's never easy. When you get to get out from there, it's already a big accomplishment for us divers," Berame said.
He said the entry to the cave is small that it only fits one person at a time, but it is not difficult to enter since the current leads you inside. The cave is as huge as two basketball courts.
The hardest part in diving at the Enchanted River is getting out of the cave, he said.
"The water does pull you back to the cave. You'd be lucky if the current is not that strong."
Unfortunately, Amores failed to come out of the cave on Tuesday morning.
Berame said Amores' body was retrieved 40 meters deep, 8 hours later.
His body is expected to be brought back to Cebu on Wednesday night.
Amores' brother, Lapu-Lapu City Vice Mayor Mario Amores, immediately went to Surigao del Sur upon learning of the incident.
Amores' wife is expected to come home from the United States.
Amores, a reconstructive surgeon, was a licensed cave and scuba diver trained in the US. He was an environment advocate, particularly on caring for the ocean.
A resident of Lapu-Lapu City, he trained the city's Task Force Kalikasan which is in charge of monitoring illegal activities in the sea. He also spearheaded the creation of sanctuaries around Lapu-Lapu City.

CEBU - A Cebuano cave diver died after failing to come out of the Enchanted River in Hinatuan,
Surigao del Sur on Tuesday, authorities said. Dr. Alfonso Amores, along with other professional
divers, went there supposedly to put safety measures for a scheduled television shoot featuring
the Enchanted River.

According to Andy Berame of Lapu-Lapu City's Task Force Kalikasan, he last saw Amores last
Thursday when they had their usual night diving in Mactan. He said he even helped Amores pack
his diving gear for Surigao.

He said the last time they went to the Enchanted River together was in November last year.

"He was excited because diving in Enchanted River is always a challenge, it's never easy. When
you get to get out from there, it's already a big accomplishment for us divers," Berame said.

He said the entry to the cave is small that it only fits one person at a time, but it is not difficult
to enter since the current leads you inside. The cave is as huge as two basketball courts.
The hardest part in diving at the Enchanted River is getting out of the cave, he said.

"The water does pull you back to the cave. You'd be lucky if the current is not that strong."

Unfortunately, Amores failed to come out of the cave on Tuesday morning. Berame said
Amores' body was retrieved 40 meters deep, 8 hours later. His body is expected to be brought
back to Cebu on Wednesday night.

Amores' brother, Lapu-Lapu City Vice Mayor Mario Amores, immediately went to Surigao del Sur
upon learning of the incident. Amores' wife is expected to come home from the United States.

Amores, a reconstructive surgeon, was a licensed cave and scuba diver trained in the US. He was
an environment advocate, particularly on caring for the ocean. A resident of Lapu-Lapu City, he
trained the city's Task Force Kalikasan which is in charge of monitoring illegal activities in the sea.
He also spearheaded the creation ofsanctuaries around Lapu-Lapu City.

Source: Surgeon-cave diver dies in Enchanted River | ABS-CBN News

I saw in one article that he was the last to enter the cave. That would leave him the last to exit if normal practices were used... where were the other individuals of the dive team? Or was he diving alone meaning he was the last to enter that day?

Just read my post... last in 1st out not last out..

Last one in normally means FIRST one out.

However, I believe he was diving alone (it's what the articles read like). I'm wondering if it wasn't siphoning too hard.

Last one in normally means FIRST one out.

However, I believe he was diving alone (it's what the articles read like). I'm wondering if it wasn't siphoning too hard.

If this is the case----seems an anchored rope(after all, cave divers are used to 'following lines'..) from the 'outside heading inside' would have been helpful???.......my 2.5 cents....

There's a lot of talk about the current pushing you into the cave on the way in and preventing you from exiting the cave, at times, on the way out.

Is there no line to swim along for safety to help you get out of the cave?

Sounds like a Russian Roulette of a cave dive to me if there isn't a line to help beat the current when it's strong.

There's a lot of talk about the current pushing you into the cave on the way in and preventing you from exiting the cave, at times, on the way out.

Someone who has actually dove this cave can hopefully address this question. I'd be surprised the siphon's flow is so strong so as to prevent exit but I don't know.

In general, siphons are more challenging than springs for two reasons: first, gas management. In springs, you struggle to go in, so following the rule of thirds, on exist you have a two thirds plus some extra. Exley's rule leads to conservatism. In siphons, you'd need to rely on estimates and past experience, a more iffy proposition. Second, in silty caves any silt stirred up upstream will flow into the cave. That presents additional difficulties compared to high flow springs. Combined, even an experienced cave diver can encounter significant challenges.

Of course, it could have been a health problem. Gas remaining, etc. will hopefully help shed some light on this tragic event. My condolences to family and friends.

Back
Top Bottom