Great White spotted off Miami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome. I'm sorely tempted to run down to the Keys this weekend now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how a shark sighting even qualifies as news. Seriously; they had nothing else to do with the airtime?? Surely there's a war somewhere, or some government corruption to be uncovered.
Is it wrong that I'm still surprised by the sensationalism and fearmongering portrayals like this are promoting??
I think I might have to call the network....

Ron, this is Miami. Sadly, corruption is far more routine than shark sightings.

Was it a bit over the top? Sure. It's a local TV news broadcast; those tend to overhype a school board meeting if they've got nothing else to kill airtime. However, it's not nearly as bad as the ruckus that gets kicked up over a surfer getting nipped upstate or the spinner shark migrations. A white shark sighting is a newsworthy item (although it does seem to be getting routine of late) and I think it generates more interest than fear.

20 miles offshore in an old 17' boat(skiff no less--I don't care if it does have flotation:)) with an old single engine 115 Yamaha...........hmmm--dad raised a dull shovel............??.......Now saying that, I've run across a 3 people in a about a 16' alum boat about 22 miles offshore one day, IMO you add up their total IQs & you haven't hit triple digits, yet.......lol

20 miles offshore in an old 17' boat(skiff no less--I don't care if it does have flotation:)) with an old single engine 115 Yamaha...........hmmm--dad raised a dull shovel............??.......Now saying that, I've run across a 3 people in a about a 16' alum boat about 22 miles offshore one day, IMO you add up their total IQs & you haven't hit triple digits, yet.......lol

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

(someone had to go there) :wink:

Ron, this is Miami. Sadly, corruption is far more routine than shark sightings.

It's no secret corruption is more rampant.
The sorrow should be for the media's failure to report it.

If enough people object things can change. Even one loud mouthed passionate person can make a difference. Especially when being polite and eloquent, and organizations do log issues. A phone call or email from one person won't change anything, but 50 phone calls and a hundred emails every time poor presentation affects an issue can add up to make a real difference.
As someone who loves sharks, and hates their bad press (and it's subsequent negative impact to the cause of shark conservation) a few mins of my time could lead to a positive change.

I guess somewhere down deep I'm still a boyscout. ;-)

Hope some people down that way get some really good shark footage on their dives, coz yeah, that "interest" would include me if I could get away to dive in the next few days. /grin

I've traveled 75 miles offshore in my 25'---but @ least I had twins---GPS--& plenty of fuel....Oh, and another boat(close by)............

EDIT:.....oooops, meant this post for HalcyonDaze......my bad.....

It's no secret corruption is more rampant.
The sorrow should be for the media's failure to report it.

If enough people object things can change. Even one loud mouthed passionate person can make a difference. Especially when being polite and eloquent, and organizations do log issues. A phone call or email from one person won't change anything, but 50 phone calls and a hundred emails every time poor presentation affects an issue can add up to make a real difference.
As someone who loves sharks, and hates their bad press (and it's subsequent negative impact to the cause of shark conservation) a few mins of my time could lead to a positive change.

I guess somewhere down deep I'm still a boyscout. ;-)

Hope some people down that way get some really good shark footage on their dives, coz yeah, that "interest" would include me if I could get away to dive in the next few days. /grin

Heh, cynics like me are just idealists with burn scars. Miami does set new and bizarre limits for shenanigans, but you're right - one of the reasons it's renowned for them is because the scumbags do get busted (even if some of them make so many comebacks that when they die someone should park a cement truck on the grave).

Off that topic and to diver 85's comment - yeah, I've gone out 38 nm off Southern California in a Parker 2520 which had twin engines and all the bells and whistles. Of course, we also typically had a lot of gear onboard and one day we were pointing arse into the wind and started taking water over the transom. That was fun ... no white sharks sighted that day, but we did have a fun Looney Tunes double-take when the sealions started jumping around the boat and we all belatedly realized at the same moment that one was missing its back flippers and had ragged meat where its rear should have been.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom