Swimming & Eating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the replies guys....

I think the opinion is general....

A breakfast beer before a morning dive is never a good idea.
Trust me, I know...

My mother used to tell me the same think.

On every dive boat I've ever dove from over the past 25 years, I ate before, between and after dives. Except of course, for those trips when I was chumming :wink:

Diving uses energy. Cold water zaps energy. You need to feed the motor - you need calories to dive.

I know I was a bit rebellious/skeptical even as a child.

I remember by age 5 knowing darn good & well that this "no swimming for 2 hours" was complete nonsense, just a ploy to allow my mom/aunt/summer girl/big sister to keep sunning herself instead of coming to monitor us little kids in the pool. No one ever told me, I just knew it. Sneaky buggers.

Better to diving tomorrow just to recover a little more of my lost time in the water...

Is there anyone here that believes you will feel more chilled on dive taken after a meal? One of my buddies and I disagree on this regularly.

Those all address the same thing, cramping. But at least that's never what I have heard. The problem, if it exists, is with cold water. The water in Portugal is always cold (well, sometimes it's ok in the south) and the air temperature can be quite high. The temperature difference can lead to hypovolemic shock if entering the water quickly and maybe if there is a significant amount of blood already diverted for digestive purposes, it becomes easier for this to happen.

Dear Redshift
Your explaination is exactly what a doctor once told me, but obviously a diver will eat smart before a dive and uses thermal protection. some great replies..:cool3:

I was talking about going into cold water without protection. Different case when going into warm water or diving with thermal protection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom