Bauer VS Max-Air compressors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi. I'm comparing a Bauer compressor and Max-Air compressor for remote filling. This would have to be a mini-compressor for in the field tank filling. The Max-Air model I'm looking at is the 90 GH Mini-PBAC with an upgraded air purifier. My understanding is that the Bauer would be custom built for this sort of thing, and more expensive.

Does anyone have experience with both manufacturers, and have any advice on which to go with? We would be filling approximately 30-32 times per day with approximately 8 cylinders.

Advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

I would think a portable fire dept setup would be a good option. that is a lot of air 30 x 8 . 240 fills 10 an hr.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The MaxAir is a rebranded ColtriSub compressor and that model is the MCH16 MiniTech. The MCH16 is an excellent compressor that is easy to work on, puts out 10.8 SCFM and runs about $8200 +/-. The equivalent size compressor from Bauer is the Dive Mate 10. Again, an excellent compressor that pumps 9.7 SCFM and runs about $20,155.

You will find people here that are fanatics about either brand so, if you aren't locked in to one over the other, just figure out what options you want and what capacity you need and go from there.

For one single portable compressor "in the field" 32 fills a day is a lot.
Depending on type of "field" I guess and your budget, but the expected service life for any compressor, with in addition the service, maintenance, downtime, and repair cost if also required to be undertaken "in the field" may result in a lower mean time between service and more failure than you at first expect.

Small HP compressor blocks, with high RPM are designed for intermittent running and the models you mention are typically sports scuba compressors. IMHO if used with your intended 32 fills a day application this may result a higher down time than at first appreciate. Can I therefore suggest you consideration a full scope of options.

In our scuba world, of teapot boutique dive shops selling flags fashion and shades as Ray stated they do tend to bring to the fore the badge and brand "fanatics" but this also comes with both there limited knowledge and no useful expertise.

Therefore I suggest that depending on a full explanation from you of this "in the field" requirement you have that we also discuss the "Availability Reliability and Maintainability" of these small sports units against your actual application.
In addition consider also the advantages of:

1. Using Two (2) smaller compressors. One being in use as a back up when the other fails or down for maintenance. Either each half the size than your original 10 cfm if you like or if not and you have the budget both the same 10 cfm size and run them half as often.

2. Service life, mean time between failure, downtime, and a spare back up compressor may also be required considerations. Service in the field, pops up again, does your chosen model require any special tools? with some it does.
Again all is required consideration for a successful remote operation in my book.

3. Consider also a diesel engine drive rather than petrol/gas.
Both the Bauer and this Max-Air are shipped with the Honda GX petrol/gas engine, its a cheap option, the little tank has only 1.4 US gallons (5.1 litres) maximum so your going to run out of gas every 2.5 hours, and your going on needing 3.7 hours running each day to fill these 32 fills at 10cfm.

4. Also its not so easy to refill a gas (petrol) tank when the engine is still hot and avoid fumes or spillage. Especially when your doing this day in day out pretty soon you will set fire to the place.

5. How flat is this "field" of yours some brands you have mentioned have very little allowable incline from the horizontal before you starve them of oil and seize the block. Again not designed for rugged outdoor use but made down to a price.

6. In field service. How long how much, can you or a team member do this repeatedly. We have this 32 fills a day but for how long are you doing this for would also be a consideration

In "field" compressor projects of this nature they are mainly either budget driven or performance lead. In a word they are sports models or commercial/military models and if the former consider me out .

But making an informed choice requires full knowledge of all aspects of the application you want this work horse compressor for and by and large the work you put in now before you buy the thing will dictate the true cost and performance later.

Once again if its simply a Max-Air vs Bauer question your after then I'm out. But if the practical requirements for a successful long term remote field application is what you require then we have only just scratched the surface in this post. Iain Middlebrook

240 tanks per day
based on 40 BAR / 588 psi reserve in an 80CF tank
It take 36 hours to pump 240 tanks of 80CF from a MCH16 Coltri or its equivalent...which is a 250 liters per minute comp.

You need a 400 liters per hour compressor and still need to run 18hrs/day non stop.
That is a tall order.

800 liters per minute is the capacity you need and at least 48 tanks if not more.
If you say remote area....assuming hand-carry portability is very important, order a European Bauer Mariner 200 with its superb carry chassis. 4 men can carry this safely.

BAUER COMPRESSORS - Compressors - Breathing Air - Portable Compressors - PROFI LINE II - MARINER 200

Order a P41 filter system too and choose 67724 filter cartridge with carbon monoxide remover as you will surely use gasoline powered Bauer. This filter cartridge will give you approx 300 tanks at 30C ambient temperature.
You will need at least 3 of the Mariner 200 if not 4. Depending how u want to "whore" them per day hours.

8 hours per day on such sports compressor ( agree with Ian ) is already a very ABUSED condition, more so if you ambient temperature is not cooler than 23C. Unless you use forced cooling blowers like I do at 50 Km/hour wind speed, one can still get away doing 8-10 hours a day on Mariner 200 ast 30C ambien temp....but still it will wear off fast, but it will not be damaged due to overheating. Normal wear n tear will occur.

DO manage intake snorkel well when using gasoline engine, as the Honda engine it uses will pump pout carbon monoxide at 150PPM or more 1 meter away from ist exhaust. No filter with CO remover can remove that much, 30 PPM CO is a safe average as removal efficiency. Ian will know better such numbers.

U will need gasoline this much on daily basis :
240 tanks x 0.45 liters pe tank = 108 liters or US gallon 28ish...........PER DAY !!! Wow, a liquid bomb it is.:depressed:

Basic calculator.
40 BAR reserve on a 80CF tank is approx 1,800 liter of air to top up.
Comp capacity speak liters per minute.
Work out what you actually need.

Portability limit is approx 130kg from a Bauer Mariner 200. I mean its the biggest one can carry.

Forget MCH16 ( 1,450 - 1,500 rpm ) , if you so choose Coltri, MCH13 tropicalized is bettter at 1,300 RPM.
Forget Bauer Mariner 250 ( 1,450 RPM )
Forget any compressor above 1,300 RPM if you want it to last for such project.

Many compressor manufacturers are simply pushing faster RPM for lower cost at higher output but = FASTER DEATH.
Same block ....same everything....just bigger and faster motor to "whore" the compressor block:D

All below are same block with faster and faster motor only :

Coltri - me dunno its block number
MCH13 1,300 to 1,350 RPM 4kw
MCH16 >>> 1,450 - 1,500 RPM 5.5 kw
MCH18 >>> 1,800 rpm 7.5 kw
Coltri capacity coding MCH13 is 13 cubic meter per hour. So 13,000 / 60 = 216 liters per minute, read it as 200 L/M

Bauer/Poseidon K120.2 block
Mariner or PE200 1,300 RPM 4kw
Mariner 250 or PE 250 >>>>> 1,450 RPM 5.5kw
Poseidon PE300 >>>>>>>>>>1,800 RPM 7.5kw
Bauer is smart, they dare not make 1,800 RPM model under Bauer brand...he he he. They let Poseidon do that shizt.

Nothing is free............slower RPM = Live longer, heavier based on output, cost more based on output.

Believe what IAN/HSM said about "sports compressor".

Good luck with your project...

I understood it to be 32 fills a day using 8 cylinders. That is Four fills a day into each cylinder, To me It works out at 8 cylinders x 4 fill each is 32
Not 240 fills a day, heck thats 32 fills a day into each of the 8 cylinders

By way of comparison if it was 240 fills a day your after I would have suggested an offshore compressor. 30-40 cfm at 5000 psi at a conservative low 650RPM and 3 phase or diesel driven

Many compressor manufacturers are simply pushing faster RPM for lower cost at higher output but = FASTER DEATH.
Same block ....same everything....just bigger and faster motor to "whore" the compressor block:D

All below are same block with faster and faster motor only :

Coltri - me dunno its block number
MCH13 1,300 to 1,350 RPM 4kw
MCH16 >>> 1,450 - 1,500 RPM 5.5 kw
MCH18 >>> 1,800 rpm 7.5 kw
Coltri capacity coding MCH13 is 13 cubic meter per hour. So 13,000 / 60 = 216 liters per minute, read it as 200 L/M

Right concept but a little off on the models. The MCH13, 11 and 8 are the same compressor with different motors on them. So, yes, they are just different speed on the same compressor. However, while the MCH16 does spin faster than the MCH13, it has larger first and second stage pistons so it is a different compressor ... they just share the same crank case. The 18 is indeed a faster version of the 16. I personally think that would be fine if only run to 3000 psi, but almost all of our users pump 4500 and I think that is where your higher output=faster death would come to fruition. We don't sell the 18 in the US.

The MCH13, 11 and 8 are the same compressor with different motors on them. So, yes, they are just different speed on the same compressor. However, while the MCH16 does spin faster than the MCH13, it has larger first and second stage pistons so it is a different compressor ... they just share the same crank case. The 18 is indeed a faster version of the 16. I personally think that would be fine if only run to 3000 psi, but almost all of our users pump 4500 and I think that is where your higher output=faster death would come to fruition. We don't sell the 18 in the US.

From an engineering design perspective Coltri increasing piston diameter simply shows the disadvantage of using the limited range offered by these Coltri blocks.
The main disadvantage being that simply bolting on a couple of bigger pistons to an already "pushed" block may offer the customer a larger cfm delivery on the printed sales catalogue but what they don't tell you is this method also increases rod loading.

I don't much care about small retail sports compressors but for commercial applications when you need a compressor for your business.
You really need to know the rod loading and the maximum limit for the block design.

There is already enough obfuscation with some of the sports compressor suppliers they hide required engineering fact. Here are four critical

RPM
Stroke (piston rod length)
Piston diameter
Rod loading (for each piston)

Jacking the pressure from 3000psi to 4500psi increases rod loading by 50% alone
Is the sky really the limit on these blocks when in addition you add bigger diameter pistons?

Now wonder why there is no information given on rod loading from either Coltri or Bauer for that matter, you may ask yourself. Your call. Iain Middlebrook

With out typing two pages of internet data and quotes to answere your question Bauer is by far a better performing compressor on all levels. Maxair compressors simply are crap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom