Help me improve my flutter kick please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ange2014

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

My flutter kick is really weak: lack of power, not effective/efficient. (I feel myself moving a longer distance with a single frog kick than with a single flutter kick!) Part of that is due to the small amplitude of my kick (I am petite; I could deliberately kick with a bigger amplitude but it doesn't come naturally to me and hence tires me out quickly.) I could hardly move forward in stronger currents and this has limited my diving so far to tranquil waters only.

I am currently working on improving my technique and building up stronger legs. If anyone could give me advice on specific leg exercises and tips on technique improvement, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Ange

What type of fins are you using? How fast is your flutter kick? Sometimes slowing it down can make a huge improvement.

Are you able to post a video?

R..

---------- Post added June 23rd, 2014 at 10:23 AM ----------

What would happen if you slowed down the frequency (how fast you're kicking) and increased the stroke length? Often when I see inefficient flutter kicks it's a result of

- high frequency "jiggling" kicks with a very short stroke length that don't actually move the fin very far through the water.
- pulling the knee foward
- pulling the foot up such that the fin isn't catching the water

Does that give you any ideas?

R..

What type of fins are you using? How fast is your flutter kick? Sometimes slowing it down can make a huge improvement.

I have no idea (I don't know much about equipment)… some basic ones I got from a sale many years ago. They are old and I am looking for a new pair. What would you recommend? I have size 4.5 feet! (I would like to add that as a result of having small feet, I have fins meant for kids. Hmm… is that the problem?)

Last edited:
Are you keeping your knees completely straight and legs stretched out?

Are you able to post a video?

R..

---------- Post added June 23rd, 2014 at 10:23 AM ----------

What would happen if you slowed down the frequency (how fast you're kicking) and increased the stroke length? Often when I see inefficient flutter kicks it's a result of

- high frequency "jiggling" kicks with a very short stroke length that don't actually move the fin very far through the water.
- pulling the knee foward
- pulling the foot up such that the fin isn't catching the water

Does that give you any ideas?

R..

Hi R - I don't have any vids at the moment unfortunately. I had the bicycle kick problem and have corrected that. No pulling-the-foot up problem. Yes, I do have high frequency jiggling kicks with short stroke length… I will try to slow down but as I mentioned, forcing a bigger amplitude/stroke length tires me out real quick.

---------- Post added June 23rd, 2014 at 01:46 PM ----------

Are you keeping your knees completely straight and legs stretched out?

Yes, knees straight and legs stretched out.

I also noticed that my hip tends to roll a little as I flutter kick… is that normal or am i doing it all wrong?

Everyone else on here can give you better technique advice than I can, but building strength and endurance in your quads and hamstrings can't hurt. The best exercises (if you're able to do them) for overall leg strength are squats and deadlifts. If you can't do those, there are machines for leg curls and extensions that target the muscles in question. Spending some time in the gym every week can dramatically improve your overall physical abilities, even if lifting looks nothing like swimming.

I do not understand why you would think a single frog kick is inferior to a flutter kick...I only frog kick, have only frog kicked...I can probably outmove most divers in the water with my frog kick.

Flutter kicking is a waste of energy and ruins the enjoyment of the dive for anyone else in the water with you.

I was going to add that I rarely flutter kick even in current but when I do flutter for any reason, it is short quick strokes not great strides. I've tried both and with my fins the former is better. On a recent dive trip where lots of current was encountered, I asked one of the most experienced divers, who also happened to be an instructor, if she'd found a specific kick for fighting current. Her reply was that the frog kick serves her just fine.

It is completely normal that a single frog kick would take you further than a single flutter kick. Generally, you should be able to go faster with a flutter kick only when you increase the frequency of the kicks by expending more energy (usually for short periods of time).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom