Divemaster worth it if not going to work in industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By now he should drop by and let us know how it is going.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Bob
---------------------------------------------
The day I can't dive anymore, I will really need some other good reasons to stay alive. DarkAbyss

I didn't read the whole thread but, assuming that the course is done with a good instructor who teaches solid skills, I think it's worth doing.

The reason I say that is because it forces you to divert your attention to the external. Your diving needs to be automatic enough that your primary attention can be on somebody else's diving.

I just think that it's good experience.

After spending 2+ months thinking is DM is worth it, I decided firmly against it. I better spend that money on tech training.

I think that's worth doing too (I did both). Though, not everybody is interested in "tech diving".

If you are not interested in going professional, then use your money to get more diving in, not on text books and materials.

As a regular diver, you are diving for your own amusement. Once you go pro, you are now diving to make other people's diving enjoyable.

As a divemaster, you will be required to buy insurance every year, maintain certifications in first aid, CPR and O2 and pay a yearly fee to your certification agency. If you don't do these things, they won't take away your divemaster card, but you will not be eligible to perform the functions of a divemaster.

If you are not interested in doing what divemasters to, then this is just a vanity certification. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But, it seems awfully expensive for bragging rights. On the other hand, take the course and you may find that you like leading dives.

I always advise those thinking about DM training to take a technical diving course or two first. I did not. Big mistake. I did after doing DM. Had I done it before my DM/Instructor path would have been much different and more fun. As well as more carefully researched.

I agree, taking a technical course before DM is a good idea.
Any higher level courses, that emphasize skills, planning, and task loading are going to be very helpful when you take a DM course.

I do realize that is an expensive and time committed way to do it.

But if you have those skills; they do help as you progress to DM.

Like with most pursuits, everything you learn, along with the experience you gain pays off later.

Here is the update:

I went to Utila and dove with Utila Dive Center. I did my AOW (piece of cake) and my Rescue (more challenging, fun, great course, highly recommend it). I was very tempted to stay and do my divemaster there as well. Would have been another 4 weeks or so.

Utila is great by the way, especially if you are single and in the 20-35 age group or you can fake it :) Lots of young backpackers going through there. Lots of partying. Had a blast.

Wasn't awed by the diving on Utila, although it was decent. Warm water, good visibility, saw some cool things, but overall didn't have the marine life I was hoping for. So wasn't sure i wanted to do another 4 weeks there - I felt I had seen it all - although I was very tempted by the camraderie and the social life. I definitely see how people end up getting "stuck' there.

I dove Roatan for a week afterwards, checking it out for possibly doing my DM there. The diving was good, slightly better. More variety and a bit more marine life. (The shark dive called cara de cara was awesome!) West End is definitely more touristy and a bit more expensive than Utila but it was slow season. Most of the shops wanted 6 weeks minimum for DM.

So:
*Already dove Utila and felt I had seen it
*Didn't want to do 6 more weeks on Roatan during the slow season
*Didn't want to spend a chunk of cash on a dive computer
*Knew that if I really wanted to work in the industry I would still have to take another course
*Decided to take the time and money to just travel Central America and dive instead. That's what I am doing now.

FYI, dives in the Bay islands were cheap. 2 tank on Utila for $55 and on Roatan for $70. I am finding dives elsewhere to be a bit more expensive, often around $100 and frequently more depending on the size of the boat and how far it has to travel to get to the dive sites, for example, the Belize dives to the outer reefs.

Thanks for all the input everybody.

I always advise those thinking about DM training to take a technical diving course or two first. I did not. Big mistake. I did after doing DM. Had I done it before my DM/Instructor path would have been much different and more fun. As well as more carefully researched.

Why is that?

If you've got no intention working i'd say go diving instead of courses...Lots.

THEN take an entry level tech course even if you have no interest in proper tech diving. It'll polish and help massively with your core diving skills and confidence and make you a better diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom