Myrtle BEach in August!! Who to dive with and where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AevnsGrandpa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

Looked through the threads back to the begining of the year and only found one having to do with this area so I thought I'd start one up. As you can see in the title, the wife and I will be in the Mrytle Beach area the last week of August, specifically in North Mrytle Beach. From what I read and searched there is 1 dive op within blocks of where we are staying, Coastal Scuba.

So for my questions...

1. For those who have dove with Coastal, how are they? I looked at their boats and the number and it sounds like it might be a bit crowed but I am a poor judge of that so what are your opinions?

2. I have done a couple othere ocean dives, a nice boat drift dove off of West Palm Beach and a shore dive in California, so I have no reference on wrecks. So which are good? Been diving for 1 years and am a PADI AOW.

Thanks for the input folks!!

Jeff

---------- Post added May 5th, 2014 at 12:55 PM ----------

Oh and something I should have asked, I have looked up some of the wrecks but how are the temps and the vis? Living in Illinois I mainly dive lakes and quarries so I have a 7mm farmer john, is this too much, too little?

Thanks again,

Jeff

August in Myrtle Beach the water is going to be about 80-84o. It was in mid-July. I dove in a t-shirt - my buddy in his 3 mil unzipped. He looked warm. You may want a skin since jellies - and everything else - collect around the wrecks. A lot of that area is flat and sandy so they attract any fish life.

NDBC Station MROS1 Historical Data - check the water temp history for August.

The farther out the better the vis. The 40' wrecks can be 10' or less. Once you get out in the 60' range the vis is also 50-75' typically.

Your other option is Express Watersports down in Murrell's Inlet. Express Water Sports - Myrtle Beach Scuba We dove with EW all week. But we stayed nearby. Express lists typical wreck vis: Express Water Sports - Dive Sites & Prices

With traffic you'd be looking at 45mins. drive or more. It gets bad around the I17/S501 interchange often. Esp. at night since there's a couple big dinner theaters nearby. There's some nice restaurants in Murrell's Inlet also.

Broadway at the Beach is a good evening's entertainment. There's a Ripley's Aquarium there. Only place I've ever seen Leafy Sea Dragons - in a small tank in one of the smaller rooms.

The temps provided by diversteve are accurate for that time of year in myrtle beach. I still suggest some sort of skin or 3/2 suit for simple exposure protection and the thermocline that may seem a little chilly. You are also correct on your assumption about coastal scuba. Their boat can be crowded considering it is not a dedicated dive boat, but more of a fishing vessel. Coastal will be the closest but I highly recommend Express Watersports. Considering your dive history, Express will provide a much better diving experience. Express has a dedicated dive vessel and a very helpful crew. check out their website Express Water Sports - Myrtle Beach Scuba, Parasail, Kayak & dolphin watch & Ocean Sightseeing, Banana Boat And jet skis rentals, Memorial at sea, Fishing & hydro testing in Myrtle Beach area South Carolina 843-357-7777 - Myrtle Beach Scuba Dive or just Express Water Sports - Myrtle Beach Scuba, Parasail, Kayak & dolphin watch & Ocean Sightseeing, Banana Boat And jet skis rentals, Memorial at sea, Fishing & hydro testing in Myrtle Beach area South Carolina 843-357-7777 - Home Let us know how hit goes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom