Advice on dive ops for OW instruction in KL ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are a burger lover like me...Mrs. Mac's and Category 3 can't be missed :wink:

Food-

Outside of the obvious..( Mac's)...must have's /do's...imo include...
Pilot House Marina..nice dinner...lotta local flavor there... Denny's Latin Cafe....2x what you can eat..10 bucks or less...and PHENOMINAL Cuban pork...
Conch House...coffee and Key Lime pie..its a life moment..like losing your ...errr..ummm..yeah.
Sharkeys...lol....well....cough cough...its Sharkeys.
Also, walk the MM100 canal....the Original "African queen" in residence...very neat.

YMMV...

Bubs

I took my Wreck cert with RR years ago and they were fine, but no recent experience.

As far as online courses go, they still have to study and do the knowledge reviews, and there's still an exam. Our LDS also conducts one day of classroom for reviewing/reinforcing the material, then it's 1-2 days of pool, and 2 days of open water.

Please keep in mind that if you do the referral program, you'll be spending almost double the money for an OW certification, because you pay your LDS, and then it's around another $300 for the KL shop.

The online course gets associated with a dive shop, so they can track his progress online, or answer questions, and see his quiz scores, even though they aren't there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks - I took a look at the SSI online program (I like SSI because I got certified through them, if for no other reason) and it seems that you pay the dive shop a total fee (looks like around $500) for the hands-on parts but the online materials are free. I'm not sure there's a more inexpensive way to do it (and I'm more interested in safety and quality than low price, just trying to be economical).

Stargazer- Mrs. Mac's is a must-stop- great food- but also check out Category 3 and Key Largo fisheries. Key Largo bites next door to mrs. Mac's was an unexpected little treasure to find as well.

Hi Stargazer. My name's Jeff. i am the head instructor at Horizon Divers. Its a great time of year to come diving. What questions do you have and how can I help you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am working some at Ocean Divers as a Captain & Tech instructor. I have been observing their entry level / open water instructors for a while now. I am impressed with their teaching abilities & style. Safety & Fun are top of the menu. I have seen no shortcuts..

Consider Ocean Divers for the training.

Thanks for the input, though it's not making it easier narrowing down the choices! Guess I'm going to get on the phone and talk to each one next to see how they compare. Does anyone think the agency (PADI vs SSI vs ?) matters ? Any other opinions welcome.

Hey Stargazer,

Yes we are SSI, as well as, NAUI, SDI and PADI. There are a lot of good shops around, so whoever you choice we hope you have a good diving/training experience. If we can answer any questions, even if you don't dive with us, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Good Diving,
Capt Gary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom