batteries camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaworm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Are digipower batteries canon approved for g16? I have main canon battery for g16, however the digipower batteries have 820 mah compared to Canon's main 920mah. Should I buy a canon or get digipower.

I have always had the best luck with Wasabi Japanese cells. 5 different Canon bodies, they all have the Wasabi. Noticeably better, longer, etc.

seaworm,

Even though I tend to buy at least one spare Canon brand battery for backup muzikbizz22 is right about Wasabi branded batteries being good......

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

Attachments

• IMG_3510.jpg
    IMG_3510.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3568.jpg
    IMG_3568.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 49
Do yourself a favor and stick with the Canon OEM batteries. I've bought Wasabi and other off-brands, some claiming to have higher capacity than OEM's, and every single one of them has sucked, either because they don't have near the capacity they claim or because they won't hold a charge after a few months. Never, ever had a problem with Canon batteries, and I've had a bunch of them.

Do yourself a favor and stick with the Canon OEM batteries. I've bought Wasabi and other off-brands, some claiming to have higher capacity than OEM's, and every single one of them has sucked, either because they don't have near the capacity they claim or because they won't hold a charge after a few months. Never, ever had a problem with Canon batteries, and I've had a bunch of them.

Interesting, I have NEVER had issues with the Wasabi's. Have ALWAYS had great luck with them. Again, I think the key is to get the Japanese cell's, and not the Chinese cell's.

Interesting, I have NEVER had issues with the Wasabi's. Have ALWAYS had great luck with them. Again, I think the key is to get the Japanese cell's, and not the Chinese cell's.

Yeah, I bought Wasabi's because of the good reviews. Both of them took a dump shortly after I bought them. Interestingly, they say two things on them: "Premium Cells from Japan", and "Made in China".

I have used a number of different brands of batteries with my S95 including Wasabi and all have died after 10 to 12 months, but the Canon OEM's are still going. None of the batteries including Canon will last a full three dives taking about 60 shots a dive, so I always change the battery after the second dive..

I've had the same experience and completely agree with DWD here... in 2013 on Bonaire I had a non-Canon battery along with the stock battery that came with my 530sx Point and shoot. It had been working fine for a few months. On the 2nd day of the trip I got a "not compatible batt" error message and there was no compatible battery available to purchase anywhere on the island.. I've now switched to a G16 and the first thing I did was purchase a 2nd OEM Canon battery. I can see where $5 vs $35 seems feels good when you buy a knockoff.... but I guarantee it doesn't feel good when you're at the beginning of a $5,000 trip and it fails.

I've also had bad experience with generic batteries. The latest is Halcyon brand battery for my Canon S120. Worked fine for a couple of months then started failing in the middle of the dive. Also the capacity listed on the battery is higher than OEM and it says the cells are from Japan, but the thing is a piece of crap. Just get the original, it's not worth trying to save a few bucks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom